Framing a basement half wall bar top

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
bayds

Framing a basement half wall bar top

Post by bayds » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:02 pm

Hi Shannon,
I am planning on framing a half wall (about 40" tall and 10 ft long). One end will be connected to a framed telepost while the other end will be free standing. I plan on finishing the top with granite or quartz. I was planning on framing the wall using 2X6's or 2X8's to try and add some stability. Will this be enough to avoid the free standing end from being wobbly or is there something else I can do when framing to strengthen the wall?
Any input or advice will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Shannon

Re: Framing a basement half wall bar top

Post by Shannon » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:18 pm

How wide will the top be?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

bayds

Post by bayds » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:21 pm

Probably in the 18-24" range.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:39 pm

Well if you want granite or quartz most companies will want it supported more then a every 10' when it's that wide so I would build the wall outta even 2x4 and add a stub wall half way and at the far end as well. These will give you lots of stability and support the counter every 5'.
Frame the wall using construction screws and adhesive at every framing connection to keep anything from being able to flex or move if someone leans on the bar to much.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:23 pm

If you have the ability to use shot nails through the bottom plate into the concrete floor, it is surprising how strong these are. In lieu of that, drilled anchors will work just as well. To add a touch more stability to the framing you can add corner braces in the form of a Simpson-Tie. The wider your wall, the more stable it will be, although 2x4 can be surprisingly rigid. The thing is, though, the taller the wall, the more leverage you have on the fasteners and framing joints, the wider the top will add to the leverage of people leaning upon the bar, so a wider wall will add rigidity. If you're going to put cabinets inside this wall for the work area, then you can attach the cabinets to the wall which will give you the stability you need and eliminate the need for super secure floor attachment and framing joints. While these things are still important, they're just not as important when backed by cabinets.

bayds

Post by bayds » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:12 am

Thanks for the advice guys. The half wall is more so a room divider between the tv area and games room so I wasn't planning on putting any cabinets or anything. This was meant more as a secondary seating place with stools and a counter top to put drinks on.

I am planning on securing the bottom plate to concrete using a heavy adhesive along with shooting nails with the ramset gun.

Shannon, is the stub wall meant to add stability for the counter top similar to what the granite mounting brackets are intended for?

Thanks again everyone!

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:32 am

They would do two things, one would be adding support for the wide heavy counter and the second is to give stability to the wall. The last thing you want is that heavy counter to come crashing down on any one because the wall toppled over . If you don't want the stubs then I would go with the widest framing to give the base some extra stability.the stub walls could even just be 3/4" gables projecting from the wall.