Skim coat prep

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
DanaBart

Skim coat prep

Post by DanaBart » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:05 pm

I have a small section of damaged drywall - damaged from wallpaper removal. Other, similarly damaged areas I replaced the drywall but I would rather not here. How necessary is a sealer like Gardz for prepping this surface? BTW, Gardz is hard to get; any other suggestions?

Thanks

A. Spruce

Re: Skim coat prep

Post by A. Spruce » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:43 pm

The easiest way to go is to peel off as many loose tabs as you can, then coat with an oil base primer. Oil base will not interact with the damaged paper face, thereby it won't cause any additional peeling or blistering and will prevent additional peeling and blistering when you start skim coating.

If you choose to skim coat without priming first, you will suffer additional peeling and blistering, but you can minimize this a bit with the use of a fast setting compound, I'd go with 15 or 20 minute set. Mix only what you can use before it fires off. Setting compounds are significantly harder to work with than premixed compounds, so start with small batches in your pan until you get the hang of using it. Once you've got the first coat on, you can then switch to topping or lightweight compound for the skimming and topping aspects.

DanaBart

Post by DanaBart » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:52 pm

Thanks for the help.

DanaBart

Post by DanaBart » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:54 pm

BTW, if I do use an oil-based primer, would a fast-setting compound be necessary? Or would pre-mixed work?

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:42 pm

With an OB primer, regular premixed topping compound is all you need.

Without OB primer the paper is going to want to raise and fray even more, hence the need for the quick setting compound to combat the moisture issue.

You can muddle your way through without primer and without quick set, but you will need to allow each and every coat to dry thoroughly, and you will get significant bubbling and peeling with each and every coat. This is why OB primer is so highly recommended, to stop the bubbling as you try to float the surface smooth.