Window replacement with stucco exterior

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
Aaron

Window replacement with stucco exterior

Post by Aaron » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:22 pm

That looked like a LOT of work taking that window out.

It really makes one wonder why we even bother with new construction windows with flanges?

Retrofit ones go in and out so much easier.

A. Spruce

Re: Window replacement with stucco exterior

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:05 pm

While retrofit are easier and cheaper to do, they look like poop. I'd rather take the time to replace the window.

Personal preference. 8-)

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:19 pm

A. Spruce wrote:While retrofit are easier and cheaper to do, they look like poop.
Look at Shannon's current video. That replacement window looks great!

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:35 pm

A. Spruce wrote:While retrofit are easier and cheaper to do, they look like poop. I'd rather take the time to replace the window.

Personal preference. 8-)
I would disagree ,but thats my opinion. I would install retrofit window with brick mold even on new builds when ever I can.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:37 pm

Aaron wrote:That looked like a LOT of work taking that window out.

It really makes one wonder why we even bother with new construction windows with flanges?

Retrofit ones go in and out so much easier.
I love those windows, very minor increase in cost with the reno brickmold but worth every $ as far as I am concerned. Its a dirty time consuming job to change out a nail fin window when there is a stucco finish for sure. And then to have to patch the build out and match stucco...will drive you mad :evil: :roll: :(
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:50 pm

Aaron wrote:
A. Spruce wrote:While retrofit are easier and cheaper to do, they look like poop.
Well, yeah-UH!!! Shannon did it, of course it looks great! :roll: :P :mrgreen:

I meant that I don't like the look of retrofit windows themselves. I don't like the bulky frames that are necessary to cover up the frame of the original window. What part of personal preference did you miss? :? ;) ;) :mrgreen:

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:15 pm

A. Spruce wrote:
Aaron wrote:
Well, yeah-UH!!! Shannon did it, of course it looks great! :roll: :P :mrgreen:

I meant that I don't like the look of retrofit windows themselves. I don't like the bulky frames that are necessary to cover up the frame of the original window. What part of personal preference did you miss? :? ;) ;) :mrgreen:
I guess I was comparing the window taken out with the one going in, and to me the new one looked much nicer. But then it was a more modern window too, which is what the homeowner wanted.

My dad has helped me install vinyl replacement windows in my old house. I have a bunch of Jeldwen windows and they are just great and pretty easy to install in the cavity the old window came out. They look great.

It's sort of an odd thing, but I've noticed with some construction methods is that sometimes retrofit products can be easier to deal with than new construction products, and the end result can often be superior which makes one wonder if the retrofit method should just replace the new-construction method.

A good example are old work electrical boxes. They go in easily, you can position them exactly, cut the hole easily, and they just pop in and are quite secure when they cinch up to the drywall.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:29 pm

Shannon wrote:
A. Spruce wrote:While retrofit are easier and cheaper to do, they look like poop. I'd rather take the time to replace the window.

Personal preference. 8-)
I would disagree ,but thats my opinion. I would install retrofit window with brick mold even on new builds when ever I can.
I like the look of brick mold myself. My garage has PVC brickmold around the large driveway door, but the utility door oddly was cased exteriorly with wood brick mold which is now showing its age. Besides peeling paint, there are butt joints that are separating. So I'm halfway tempted to just pry it all off and replace it with PVC to match the double-car door.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:37 am

Aaron wrote: I like the look of brick mold myself. My garage has PVC brickmold around the large driveway door, but the utility door oddly was cased exteriorly with wood brick mold which is now showing its age. Besides peeling paint, there are butt joints that are separating. So I'm halfway tempted to just pry it all off and replace it with PVC to match the double-car door.
You could cap it with metal as well. If the separation is not bad fill the joints with glue before capping. Likely just as easy to remove and replace though :)