Rot on wood frame/under old stucco on concrete sill below grade

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
meter1060

Rot on wood frame/under old stucco on concrete sill below grade

Post by meter1060 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:21 pm

I'm just removing the stucco on my home to put on some Hardi and a small portion of the concrete sill is stepped up in regards to the basement. Only problem is that when the landscaper put in fill the dirt was not stepped or graded properly to keep the wood frame above ground. So about a foot of stucco and framing and sheathing (donnacona) was left underground and the framing has rotted.

I'm wondering what the best course of action for this repair is? I'm fairly certain that the best thing to do would be to excavate out the dirt until the sill is properly below grade and then just treat the rest as an above grade wall, but is there alternatives? Thanks in advance.

A. Spruce

Re: Rot on wood frame/under old stucco on concrete sill below grade

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:04 pm

If you don't address the problem, no amount of repair will cure the issue. Regrade so that the soil so that it below the framing, and so that water is directed away from the house.

The easiest way to repair the damage will be to remove the stucco from the affected area, replace all the rot, patch the stucco. Stucco tends to be something best left to the pros, as it's finicky to work with and get a good seal back in place.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:39 pm

If you wanna stay with wood I would change the landscaping as you suggested.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:41 pm

If you want it below grade again then building like a wood basement is the only way. PT. lumber and sheeting and protective membrane and drainage membrane over that. The drainage membrane needs to be to just below grade and the protective membrane should be about 12" above grade.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon