1960's Style countertop

Ask your kitchen related question here
Mr.Black

1960's Style countertop

Post by Mr.Black » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:51 pm

Hi Shannon, I'm planning on doing a retro style counter for our kitchen, I watched your laminate countertop video on youtube - ( super !! ) ........ I have a couple extra things to ask. First, how do I deal with two corners on each side, I will be using the Wilsonart retro sheet, which has a pattern. Y0067 - Retro Pop. https://www.wilsonart.com/search/keyword/retro
Secondly, I wanted to go all the way to get the right look & also use an aluminum edging, such as this - https://www.newyorkmetal.com/c-7-tee-no ... minum.aspx . I've never done a counter before, so I'm not real qualified, just willing to try !!! - We love the 60's look & most of our house reflects it - the kitchen is the next up on my to-do list . Thanks
Last edited by Mr.Black on Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mr.Black

Re: 1960's Style countertop

Post by Mr.Black » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:54 pm

I forgot to mention - those 2 corners are inside corners

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:52 pm

So traditionally those counter would have been likely covered in place. So the substrate would have been built and then the surfaces glued and installed right there in the kitchen. Because of that usually the joints were just straight butt joints/seams. The sheets of the time were only available in 48" x 96" and they would have left the joints basically at those positions depending on how you positioned the sheets when installing.So to start with cut the laminate to the basic shape you want leaving it about 1" bigger to allow for some wiggle room when laying. Then best thing to do is use a straight edge and router/trimmer and create a straight edge on the sheet where the joints will be. Do this on both pieces that will butt to each other. This gives you the best chance to get a nice fitting seam.Now the wild patterns in the sheet you have chosen adds another whole issue to figureout at those joints. The issue is to get the pattern to match at the joint which will be pretty tough unless you can run the sheet direction the same way for every piece,and even then it will be a real challenge. Once you have dry fit everything its go time! Good luck
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

Mr.Black

Post by Mr.Black » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:18 pm

Thanks Shannon - any & all help I can get is much appreciated !!! - I'm in Oshawa & I called a place a couple times to see what they might charge to do it - they never called back; so I figured what the heck - I may as well try !!!

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:36 am

Yup, give it a try
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon