installing 1x3 glass mosaic herringbone

Ask your kitchen related question here
InaAcheson

installing 1x3 glass mosaic herringbone

Post by InaAcheson » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:43 pm

Hi Shannon,

I have watched a number of your videos for DIY projects ... thank you for the time you have spent in making videos to help DIY homeowners such as myself. I just recently had my kitchen done and chose to do the backsplash myself, as I thought it wasn't a huge project ... well I'm really nervous with the cuts. The 1x3 glass tiles are attached on a mesh backing 1 sq ft size in the herringbone pattern.

1. Do I start in the center of the wall and work out or start at one side and work across?
2. I am assuming that the wet saw is a better choice to make all the cuts?
3. Do I make a straight cut on the bottom which will sit on the countertop with spacers leaving a small triangle, or attach the whole sheet with a spacer under the point, then piece-in the larger triangles at the bottom and probably at the top?
4. Electrical outlets will be tricky, hopefully only need to cut half a rectangle on 1 piece and mirror image half rectangle on the other tile piece.

There were not a lot of youtube videos out there for installing a glass mosaic herringbone backsplash and what there was, it was done with no audio and the video in sped-up mode ... not helpful for me; I guess I need step-by-step know how.

These 4 questions would be a huge step at getting my backsplash up and then grouted. I appreciate your help with my project. Regards, Ina:)

A. Spruce

Re: installing 1x3 glass mosaic herringbone

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:55 pm

1 - You have to measure the space you're installing the tile to lay out the best starting point and pattern match. Can you start at one end or the other or center, sure, but that may not be the best layout when you get to a corner, transition, or outlet/switch opening. If you're going around a corner, you'll want the pattern to compliment, that is to say, make the pattern look like it was folded around the corner. As an example, draw diagonal lines on a piece of paper, then fold the paper in half, the lines flow through the bend. Same thing with tile, you want both sides of the corner to compliment one another.

2 - Glass is easily chipped, so a wet saw is the best tool for the job, even then you'll get some chipping, so be careful, and cut slowly.

3 - You're probably going to want to cut a straight line across the bottom, but this is something you can play with to determine whether piecing in fragments or making a single cut works best for your situation.

4 - Probably the easiest thing to do will be to remove the tiles from the sheet that cover the area of the outlet/switch openings, and cut the mesh backing as well. This will leave you a sheet with a hole in it. Set the sheet, then piece in the pieces around the opening. As part of your layout, take the openings into consideration so that you are not dealing with slivers that will be difficult to impossible to cut.
I'm CDO, it's the same thing as OCD, but in alphabetical order like it should be! I've also got a touch of AD/OS, Attention Deficit . . . Oh, Shiny!

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:25 pm

I recommend a Dremel with a diamond cutting wheel. You can make really precise cuts with it, especially small little tile pieces that are common with modern decorative backsplashes.

For electrical receptacles and other obstructions, yeah, remove all the tiles that interfere with that rectangular hole. You can trim those tiles individually and stick the trimmed ones back in place.

InaAcheson

Post by InaAcheson » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:12 pm

Thank you so much for your response :)