Wall stud bowing more and more - reason for concern?

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
diy502

Wall stud bowing more and more - reason for concern?

Post by diy502 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:35 pm

I purchased a house two months ago (brand new build), and when I did the initial inspection I noticed that one of the studs in a load bearing wall in the center of the unfinished basement was slightly bowed.

I didn't think much of it, but now it's two months later and it's bowing a lot more. It seems to be getting worse over time. It also started chipping near the top, and I also see that the stud was toenailed to the floor plate really sloppily (all of this wall's studs actually).

Should/can I do anything about this, or should I just let it be for now?

A. Spruce

Re: Wall stud bowing more and more - reason for concern?

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:10 pm

That particular stud is just a bad stud, replacement is advised since this is a load bearing wall. As for the toe-nailing, if they're all this bad, I'd recommend adding more nails. Here in the states toe-nailing must be done from both sides. The stud in the picture appears to have a knot where the nails need to be, making nail installation that much harder. The trick to keep studs from splitting out or knots from being a problem is to predrill holes through the stud only that are just a hair smaller than the nail you're using, in this instance 8d is good, 16d is better. Also, toe-nails should not be seen on the back side, you want the nail to be fully encapsulated in the wood for maximum holding power.
I'm CDO, it's the same thing as OCD, but in alphabetical order like it should be! I've also got a touch of AD/OS, Attention Deficit . . . Oh, Shiny!

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:56 pm

yes I 100% agree with Spruce here, the toe nailing is bad and the stud is just warping/bowing as it dries outMeasure for a new stud to get a nice tight fit and swap it out,fix up the toe nails and you should be ok.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

diy502

Post by diy502 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:31 pm

Thanks for the quick response and suggestions guys! I have a two year structural warranty with the builder, so I'll try to get them to re-do that entire wall properly at the 6-month mark.