Carport

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
DK3

Carport

Post by DK3 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:50 pm

My friend has designed a carport for me. We are in located in South Texas, with prevailing south-southeast winds. It will be attached to the house that blocks the wind.

The carport is 20Lx15.6W. It will be attached to the house with 2x6 ledger boards. It has 3~6x6 posts for the length of carport. The roof pitch is 1/12. The rafters are 2x6, 24" OC. The purlins are 1x3, 16" OC (After watching video, I am aware they can be further apart). The header boards are doubled 2x6 boards, with carriage bolts attaching to post. The wood purchased is treated, Southern Yellow Pine?, I think #2? (from Home Depot.) The roof will be 26 gauge PBU Metal Panels. The ledger boards will have some decking screws to hold up and then lag screws will be put in place. Hurricane ties will be used on both ends of all rafters.

I was looking online at videos, forums, etc. and came across building code rafter spans. Was curious, so I checked it out. The code for rafter spans has left me questioning the 2x6 rafters. At the same time, it is only a metal roof with a 1/12 pitch and using larger lumber seems like it would be going overboard :-). (We do not need permits where I am building. Rural area. But I understand the codes are there for a reason.)

Main question: Does the fact that is a 1/12 pitch metal roof, change the rafter span recommendations? With the roof being what it is, will the 2x6's being sufficient? Or does the design need to be different OC than 24"? Any others suggestions are welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for your time.

A. Spruce

Re: Carport

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:00 pm

I would say that it should be fine.
I'm CDO, it's the same thing as OCD, but in alphabetical order like it should be! I've also got a touch of AD/OS, Attention Deficit . . . Oh, Shiny!

Shannon

Re: Carport

Post by Shannon » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:32 pm

In your climate I believe you would be fine. If you have some doubt then I would go with 16" o.c joist spacing
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon