Shed roof help

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
Neuf350Z

Shed roof help

Post by Neuf350Z » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:37 pm

After much debate, I decided to go ahead and try and build a shed on my own. I figured it would be a good learning experience and a nice project.

I've got the floor done, wall framing is up and got the top plate on. Now I'm trying to tackle the roof and those dreaded angles. My first question is...

What is the easiest way to install rafters? Is it using a ridge board or building the rafters and tying them together with trusses? I don't have a nail gun so I'm nailing everything by hand. The total measurement of my shed is 8'x8'

If I went the ridge board route, can someone tell me if my calculations are correct:

I'm planning a 4/12 slope
The width of my shed is 8' so half of that is 48" - my rise is therefore 16"?
My calculations then show that my rafter should be 50.5" long (not including overhang)

I need to get a framing square for my angle cuts. I did a test piece at 18.5 degrees and I don't think that's right.

Any guidance on this would be greatly appreciated!

A. Spruce

Re: Shed roof help

Post by A. Spruce » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:27 pm

As a first time builder, I would suggest running a ridge board to simplify your efforts greatly. Also, you want a speed square, not a framing square.

Check out Shannon's shed building vids for framing tips.
I'm CDO, it's the same thing as OCD, but in alphabetical order like it should be! I've also got a touch of AD/OS, Attention Deficit . . . Oh, Shiny!

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:58 pm

So your length would be 50-5/8" minus deduction for the ridge and then add on what you want for the overhang.I have a pretty good video going through this you may want to check out and also some more info on my website.If you still have trouble after that come back for sure. A framing square or speed square will help you with the cuts.18.5 should be the right angle though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlAj-pL ... cacPD_Mbw4

https://www.house-improvements.com/shed
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

Neuf350Z

Post by Neuf350Z » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:51 pm

Thanks! I've actually watched your shed video a ton of times to fully understand it but still had questions. It sounded easy until I went to actually do it. 😀

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:57 pm

Neuf350Z wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:51 pm
Thanks! I've actually watched your shed video a ton of times to fully understand it but still had questions. It sounded easy until I went to actually do it. 😀
Yes , even I need to stop and think a bit when I have not done some for a while
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

Neuf350Z

Post by Neuf350Z » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:20 pm

Since I don't have a nail gun, what's your thought on staggering the rafters? Also, what size nail do you use to install them onto the ridge board?

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:51 pm

You can still line up the rafters and nail them by hand. Start the nail about 1/2" from the side of the rafter on one side and drive at a slight angle into the rafter on the other side. If you have a hard time driving nails, predrill holds in the ridge board so that your nails go exactly where you want them.
I'm CDO, it's the same thing as OCD, but in alphabetical order like it should be! I've also got a touch of AD/OS, Attention Deficit . . . Oh, Shiny!

Neuf350Z

Post by Neuf350Z » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:00 pm

I just worry that my toe nailed nails won't give me as strong of a hold.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:16 pm

If you lay out your nails so that you start 1/2" from the side of the rafter and 1/2" inside the edge of the rafter you're nailing into, you will have more than enough hold. This is where predrilling the holes will help greatly in your nailing accuracy, and you can drill the ridge board on the ground when you lay out the rafter spacing. You only need to nail at an angle from one side, since the first rafter can be nailed straight on, it is the companion rafter that gets angle nailed. If you're really worried about it, you could angle nail the rafter from both sides, but it shouldn't be necessary.

Neuf350Z

Post by Neuf350Z » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:23 pm

I'll admit I'm horrible at nailing. Yes, one side I can nail on through the ridge board, it's just the other side I'm struggling with. The ridge board is already attached and I have 3 rafters up. It's not the neatest job, but I've never built something like this before. :) I'm just happy that I was able to figure out my angles and cuts so they fit!

My b-day is coming up so I think I may need to buy myself a nail gun!

Thanks for your help!

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:09 am

Neuf350Z wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:20 pm
Since I don't have a nail gun, what's your thought on staggering the rafters? Also, what size nail do you use to install them onto the ridge board?
So those should be 12D (9gauge) 3-1/4" long nails or something similar

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:04 am

Here in the states, 16d GVS are the standard for framing. GVS = Green Vinyl Sinker, the vinyl melts as the nail is driven which lubricates and eases driving, then solidifies and sort of glues the nail in place. They are 3-1/2" long.

Neuf350Z

Post by Neuf350Z » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:37 pm

Got all the rafters up. Nailing wasn't as hard as I thought. Thanks for your help!