Vapor Barrier In Shed?

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
TheNerve

Vapor Barrier In Shed?

Post by TheNerve » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:58 am

I'm building a shed to store my small machines (snowblower, lawn mower..etc..). I'm planning to use OSB on the roof with asphalt shingles, vinyl siding on OSB for the sides. The doors will be barn type doors. This shed will not be insulated. I have 2 questions: 1. Do I have to use vapor barriers under the shingles and the siding? 2. Should I use plywood rather than OSB for the roof and sides? Thank you Shannon for the help. Have a good one.

Shannon

Re: Vapor Barrier

Post by Shannon » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:11 am

A vapour barrier is a poly sheeting used on the interior side of insulated exterior walls and ceilings. What you are looking for is if you need to use a exterior house wrap under the siding or underlayment under the shingles. The answer to both questions is ...YES. You really should use both to protect the sheeting on your shed from damage if water should ever get through the exterior finish products. The costs are minimal but they can really save you in the long run if you have issues. Especially the house wrap because vinyl siding is not water tight and will allow rain and moisture to get by it at times.
As for Plywood VS. OSB I personally use 7/16" or 1/2" OSB most of the time, I don't think you can really go wrong with using it. Unless your area is a very wet climate that is what I would use.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

TheNerve

Re: Vapor Barrier In Shed?

Post by TheNerve » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:19 am

Thank you very much Shannon.