Drywall above/around overhead garage door.

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
kevink

Drywall above/around overhead garage door.

Post by kevink » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:16 pm

Hi,

Looks like I might have a problem here installing drywall around/above my garage door. I have 10ft walls and a 9ft high overhead door, so there is little room to begin with. See the following picture for a view of the header with the coils and blocking I installed for the ceiling drywall.
20170908_143704.jpg
20170908_143704.jpg (76 KiB) Viewed 65 times
Now a close up of the coil bracket and operator rail where you can see there's basically no room in between the blocking and the operator rail, as well as no room between the coil and the operator rail.
20170908_143738.jpg
20170908_143738.jpg (58.85 KiB) Viewed 65 times
You can also see that I have no room to finish the poly here, unless I'm to remove the coils/operator rail and then put them back.

I'm wondering what is suggested I do here? What is usually done in these situations?

Thanks, any thoughts are appreciated.

A. Spruce

Re: Drywall above/around overhead garage door.

Post by A. Spruce » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:23 pm

Options:
1 - Leave it as is.
2 - Work around what is there.
3 - Take down the opener and spring assembly, do the drywall, reinstall door parts.

Item 1 probably isn't an option for aesthetic reasons. If living space is above this door then drywall is required as a fire break.

Item 2 - Can you "notch" around the opener, simply recess the drywall into the joist bay for the clearance you need.

Item 3 - By far the best option, but also EXTREMELY dangerous, as the tension on those springs packs a lethal punch if you do not know what you're doing with them.

kevink

Post by kevink » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:28 pm

OK. For #2 - that's an interesting idea, I could make the blocking I have there flush with the top plate, then add a second block on top for the drywall. Does drywall flex that much that it would be OK? I have 2ft o.c. rafters.

For #3 - The problem is that there is not even 1/2" above the operator rail for drywall to fit, even if I did take it down, so maybe I need to do a combination of #2 and #3... take it all down and then also recess the drywall into the ceiling

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:28 pm

Drywall will flex some, but it is not a good idea to do so, nor is it a good idea to put stress on the travel rod of the opener, so if you don't have room to reinstall things on top of the drywall, then recess the travel rod section of the drywall. You only need to recess where interference is, though for aesthetic reasons, you may want to do a longer recessed section.

I'm not following what you're saying about the blocking. I would simply raise the blocking above the travel rod for the width of that joist bay, say 2", then install blocking on either side of the joist bay that goes from the header blocking down the joists to flush in 4' to 6'. If the traveler is off-center to the joist bay, you could box in closer to the traveler for aesthetic reasons, your choice.

If you decide you want to mess with the springs, we need to have a discussion first, as I mentioned, they are extremely dangerous if not handled properly.

kevink

Post by kevink » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:04 am

Ha ha yeah I'm not messing with the springs.. I called a professional last night and he came over and we came to the same conclusion about the drywall. So he removed the springs for me and I redid the blocking to recess the drywall by half inch all along that wall for aesthetic reasons. I'll gladly pay 150 Canadian pesos for a pro tip taken them down and put them back up properly.

Thanks for your advice!

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:45 pm

Good call, and you're welcome. 8-)