Removing old laminate and replacing with new on kitchen counter tops

Ask your kitchen related question here
Handymankev

Removing old laminate and replacing with new on kitchen counter tops

Post by Handymankev » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:18 pm

Hi Shannon,
I'm going to replace the old laminate on my kitchen counter tops
It is a U shaped space with one side rounded on the end I would like to just remove the old laminate and install the new stuff right in place and just router the front edge is this possible ? Or would it be a risky endeavour with trying to get the backsplash edge nice and straight ? I might also add that there is no countertop backsplash it is a tile backsplash
I will be using just the stock 4x8 laminate sheets so I would only be laying 4' of backsplash edge at a time as the configuration of the counter top requires the sheet to be positioned long way perpendicular to the backsplash edge so I can cover the one leg of the U shape and half the sink side of the counter at once
Does this sound doable ? Or am I better off taking the countertop off and doing it on bench so I can router off all sides and reinstall as one piece ?
Thank you in advance
Kevin

A. Spruce

Re: Removing old laminate and replacing with new on kitchen counter tops

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:13 pm

There is no removing the existing laminate from the substrate it is adhered to, typically particle board. You can overlay the existing as long as there is zero water damage to the substrate that has caused swelling.

You can apply the new laminate and router the edge in place, but know that you're going to have places, such as where the counter meets the wall, that the router isn't going to get into, for this reason, precut the laminate to have minimal excess, this way you can file/sand the areas where the router can't reach, and you also won't damage the laminate by having a large, unsupported tailing get away from you while trying to route it off.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:24 pm

I usually will use a belt sander to rough up the surface of the old laminate to help the bond between old and new.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:11 pm

Shannon wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:24 pm
I usually will use a belt sander to rough up the surface of the old laminate to help the bond between old and new.
A palm or orbital sander would be better, less likely to cause divots that will affect the new laminate.

Handymankev

Post by Handymankev » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:21 pm

Thank you for the advice much appreciated 👍

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:20 am

A. Spruce wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:11 pm
Shannon wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:24 pm
A palm or orbital sander would be better, less likely to cause divots that will affect the new laminate.

Unless you have 40 grit paper a smaller sander takes forever. I use a 50 grit on the belt sander and keep the machine moving all the time. You do nosed to be careful at the edges that you do not tip it and gouge the corners
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon