Pre hung exterior door on wood subfloor, tile to come

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
BURDMAN1984

Pre hung exterior door on wood subfloor, tile to come

Post by BURDMAN1984 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:04 pm

This is a couple questions about setting a pre hung exterior door on a new construction addition of a mudroom.

When I set the new door, do I need to place a piece of 3/4 under it so the tile can run just under the interior edge of the sill? or should I run the tile first all the way to the door opening edge, then set the door directly on the tile?

Also I when build the small landing and stairs on the outside, do I just set the ledger board so the decking comes up to the bottom of the sill to support it? or do I mount it a full step under the sill, letting the outside edge kinda float?

And lastly, I plan to use LP Smart Siding on the exterior. I know that I need a z flashing above the horizontal trim, Do I also need a z flashing above the door/ windows below the trim boards?

Thanks a ton, I'm a fan of your youtube videos.

A. Spruce

Re: Pre hung exterior door on wood subfloor, tile to come

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:41 pm

Normal construction is the floor is sheethed with underlayment, the walls and siding are done, then the door would be installed directly on the subfloor. Because thresholds are about an inch thick, most times there are no clearance issues with finished flooring, however, this is something that needs to be taken into account when setting the door. If your finish flooring will be at or above the threshold, then the door will need to be shimmed to raise it enough for good clearance over the flooring. If you plan to have an entry mat, you will want to include this in your thickness calculations.

Depending on the design of your threshold, sometimes you do need to support the front edge. Personally, I like a landing that is the same height as the threshold, rather than stepping down to a landing. You also want this landing large enough so that you can operate the door without having to use the stairs to get out of the way of the door swing, assuming you have a screen or security door.

Z-flashing - If the door is trimmed first and the siding is butted into the trim, then flash the top trim of the doors/windows. If the siding goes all the way to the window and the trim sits on top of the siding, then there is no way to install such a flashing.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:33 am

Just clarifying something Spruce said... the exterior siding would be installed AFTER the door frame is installed on a new construction build as long as the siding is not also the exterior sheathing. In your case with the siding you chose it is usually installed with no exterior sheathing under it. :D
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

BURDMAN1984

Post by BURDMAN1984 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:42 pm

Thanks guys, bit for further clarification. Your saying the door is set on the subfloor so the tile just gets butted to the threshold? seems like the tile should run just under it to hide the edge of the tile. I'm not sure how thick it is, but it's just a standard aluminum threshold.

I plan to trim the windows and doors before the siding goes on, but I am only talking about the top horizontal piece of trim. does it need a z flashing above the window before that trim goes on? Then of course I would use another z flashing above the trim.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:52 pm

BURDMAN1984 wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:42 pm
Thanks guys, bit for further clarification. Your saying the door is set on the subfloor so the tile just gets butted to the threshold? seems like the tile should run just under it to hide the edge of the tile. I'm not sure how thick it is, but it's just a standard aluminum threshold.
Yes, butt the tile into the threshold. When done correctly, tile cuts are clean and there will be a grout line equal to all others between the tile and the threshold. When you lay out your tile, make sure that you don't have tiny slivers to deal with along edges, ideally, you should never have less than about half a tile, and there should be a matching half on the other side of the room for symmetry. Of course, if you're continuing tile from one room into another, you may not have the luxury of choosing your tile cuts, but if you can, try to avoid small cuts.
BURDMAN1984 wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:42 pm
I plan to trim the windows and doors before the siding goes on, but I am only talking about the top horizontal piece of trim. does it need a z flashing above the window before that trim goes on? Then of course I would use another z flashing above the trim.
You should only need the z-flashing over the top piece of trim, as this will shed the water over the face of the door jamb as well, since the trim will be sitting in front of the door jamb.

BURDMAN1984

Post by BURDMAN1984 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:38 pm

THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH. You've been most helpful.