cutting off 1/2" of finished frame, should I be worried

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
mrtomcat

cutting off 1/2" of finished frame, should I be worried

Post by mrtomcat » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:09 am

I am building a Room in a Room for a home recording studio, this my first time building frames and the likes...I am an audio engineer but also enjoy doing DYI work from time to time.
I finished the frames for the room, it's a fairly small room 11' by 10' and I built staggered frames that will have a double layer of 5/8 drywall with green glue on the outside, roxul safe and sound in the center and another double layer of 5/8 drywall with green glue inside, two per wall so that I can move them easier. Now I just noticed that I measured the distance needed from the actual room to the new walls wrong, by 1/2" and once the outside drywall has been installed it will be possibly too tight. Since I don't want to start from scratch I am thinking of cutting that 1/2" off of one of the frames per wall but that means that my Studs won't be exactly 16" on center anymore (at least for half of each wall). Will that be a huge issue when it's time for the drywall or is there enough wiggle room. Since it's not a big room I am hoping that this is still doable but I figure I'd ask.

Help is appreciated,

thanks

Thomas

Shannon

Re: cutting off 1/2" of finished frame, should I be worried

Post by Shannon » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:28 am

When you built the walls you would have marked out the studs by measuring from one end (starting)and working to the opposite end (finish). So simply cut the 1/2" off of the end you finished marking the last stud on. This way the rest of the wall should still work fine when you hang the drywall because you will start hanging it from the starting end and cut the last sheet to fit to what ever the distance is to the finishing end.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

mrtomcat

Re: cutting off 1/2" of finished frame, should I be worried

Post by mrtomcat » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:18 pm

thank you, that makes sense!