Finishing a basement with drains in center of the floor

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
Mpmarvin

Finishing a basement with drains in center of the floor

Post by Mpmarvin » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:59 pm

I'd like to finish the basement in a house we're soon to close on. I've seen your videos and their great. I've seen others also but one thing I haven't seen in any videos is how do you account for a drain in the middle of the floor. Wouldn't the framing block the path of water should it need to get to that drain? Same question about sump pumps. Although not in the middle of the floor I'd assume water needs a clear path to get to these openings. Or is it a case of if you got that much water you got bigger problems? First time home owner (prospective) here. Infact first time ever going to be living in a house. Apartment dweller since birth so it's all new to me but I am handy, accurate with measurements and a very fast learner.

Next question will be about shims. lol

A. Spruce

Re: Finishing a basement with drains in center of the floor

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:58 pm

If the basement is done properly, water intrusion should be zero. If you have water in the basement frequently, even seasonally, then finishing it out really isn't an option, as the constant moisture will mold/mildew everything. Excessive moisture, as you point out, won't be able to flow towards the drains if walls are put in the way. So, before trying to finish out the basement, make sure that it's always dry.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:07 pm

Sump pumps and sump pits are usually really intended for controlling ground water under the home or from the weeping tile if the house has it.Drains are generally in rooms prone to water issues like laundry areas where the drain will help facilitate (hopefully) any leak that may occur until you come across it.Pretty much all homes should have a floor drain and generally it should be placed in the laundry/utility room.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

Mpmarvin

Post by Mpmarvin » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:28 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll need EVERY bit of help and knowledge you guys can spare.
Shannon wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:07 pm
Sump pumps and sump pits are usually really intended for controlling ground water under the home or from the weeping tile if the house has it.
This made me feel dumb. I thought sump pump was to take a lot of water out like in case of a flood.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:32 pm

I was never trying to make you feel dumb.
Sump pumps can do what you are thing but are really made to keep the basement from getting to that point
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

Mpmarvin

Post by Mpmarvin » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:41 pm

Shannon wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:32 pm
Sump pumps can do what you are thing but are really made to keep the basement from getting to that point
No worries. I'm sure there's going to be plenty more times I'll be feeling dumb. Lol

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:52 pm

Shannon wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:32 pm
Agreed, this is never the intent with the answers we offer here. 8-)

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:53 am

None of us can learn anything if we do not ask questions and no question is dumb really if it leads to learning something new. :D :D