Staining Pine Floor

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
ebbarc

Staining Pine Floor

Post by ebbarc » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:45 pm

I stripped layers of flooring to get back to the original pine floor (the original sub floor). Since some of that flooring over the years had been painted and some hadn't, when it came to sanding it, there was a big different in the colour of different parts of the floor. I feel the only best option is to stain it. I understand pine can be quite difficult to stain, I would welcome any advice or suggestions.

A. Spruce

Re: Staining Pine Floor

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:27 pm

Pine is difficult to stain because of its resin content and open grain. Odds are, with the age of your floor, this isn't going to be much of a problem. I would recommend testing your stain in an inconspicuous location, see how it goes. If you are satisfied with your results, continue staining, if not, then applying a sanding sealer will help to close the grain up so that it takes stain more evenly.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:31 am

You will also want to use a solid colour stain or you will see the different shades of floor in the stain again as well.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

ebbarc

Post by ebbarc » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:33 am

Sorry, this may be a stupid question, but what do you mean by Solid colour? Could you give an example?
I was just thinking of going for a slightly darker stain, so you could still see the grain.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:52 am

A solid stain is like paint, it covers everything, just not as thick as paint. There are lots of floor staining vids on YT that show how to blend new and old floors to minimize transition areas, you could use the same techniques with your floor to blend lighter and darker areas, should you wish.