Garage extension

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
lynnb

Garage extension

Post by lynnb » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:29 am

Not sure how to explain this so will give it my best. I have a 32foot deep garage by 16 feet wide with cement floor, walls are bolted properly to cement floor , peaked roof.
Couple years back I had a friend pour a 16 x 16 foot slab and build onto the garage , he simply put up three new walls bolted to the floor same as the front half and added roof trusses , he removed the sheeting from the existing rear of the garage and nailed a truss to the rear most truss with the three walls in place, 2 sides and back. He then sheeted the roof and walls, then cut an access barn style sliding door through the old rear wall studding into the new addition. Hope that all made scence , so to the question , can I remove the old rear wall that the barn style sliding door is in so the garage can hold to cars front to back rather than one in front and a 16x16 storage in the back?
Thanks

Shannon

Re: Garage extension

Post by Shannon » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:28 am

If the rafters/trusses where designed to span wall to wall you should have no problem. Do you have a picture of the rafter/truss over that wall?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

lynnb

Post by lynnb » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:06 am

Thanks for the reply Shannon, no I don't have a picture the interior is all closed in with plywood. The trusses were homemade and do span the wall. I'm thinking it is fine because its just a continuation of the front half of the garage but with a divider wall with a door cut into it.
Attachments
IMG_20151027_182958_zpsrz6kia2a.jpg
IMG_20151027_182958_zpsrz6kia2a.jpg (61.5 KiB) Viewed 158 times

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:57 am

lynnb wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:06 am
The trusses were homemade and do span the wall. I'm thinking it is fine . . .
This is a very bad assumption to make, especially with "homemade trusses". The end truss could get all of it's structural support from the wall under it, which means if you remove the wall, you weaken the truss above it. Grafting another truss, homemade or otherwise, to it isn't a fix or replacement for the support of the wall.

Does the ceiling have joists that run from plate to plate across the garage, or collar ties placed higher up on the rafters themselves? If so, then they will keep the walls from splaying apart under the roof load.

Without seeing how things are framed and supported, there is no way we can say whether the wall can be safely removed without other structural issues being dealt with.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

lynnb

Post by lynnb » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:30 pm

I believe you are probably correct with making the assumption that it's fine , I will have to maybe remove a sheet from the new addition and take some pics for you's.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:58 pm

Ya the picture you posted really tells us nothing about the structure so I can not say for certain by looking at that. If there is an attic access you can get up and see from there.
I see you say that the carpenter added a "truss" against the existing end gable rafter/truss so I would think if you bought those trusses pre made that they would have been designed to support from outside wall to outside wall. So by nailing the old to the new it should carry the load. I am only speculating though at this point.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon