Grout or Caulk floor tile to tub joint?

Ask your bathroom related questions here
diggler306

Grout or Caulk floor tile to tub joint?

Post by diggler306 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:21 pm

Hopefully quick question: should I actually fill the joint between the tub and floor tile with grout first, then come back after and caulk over top of it (I'm using a color matched caulk)? Or literally just fill the entire joint all along he tub with caulk only?

Shannon

Re: Grout or Caulk floor tile to tub joint?

Post by Shannon » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:37 pm

I prefer caulk because sometimes the flex of the tub when you are standing in it can cause it to rub and squeak when it is up against something solid like grout.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:39 pm

if it is a deep space you could pre fill it with something like foam rope so it does not take as much caulk.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:03 pm

Either will be fine. As Shannon said, sometimes a tub that moves can squeak. I've had this happen with subfloor/vinyl surfaces, but not tile. I've only seen everything grouted with a caulk top seal, since this point will crack due to the change in direction and differences in materials (grout and tub ), the caulk keeps the joint moisture tight.
I'm CDO, it's the same thing as OCD, but in alphabetical order like it should be! I've also got a touch of AD/OS, Attention Deficit . . . Oh, Shiny!

diggler306

Post by diggler306 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:31 pm

Sounds good - thanks for the info guys! It's 12"x24"x3/8" tile over Ditra-Heat-TB and I used a 1/2"x1/2" trowel so the joint COULD take a bit more caulk if I weren't to pre-fill it a bit with either grout or foam backer as Shannon suggested. The tub is sitting on concrete (+shims) and it feels pretty solid but who knows right?

In our upstairs existing bathroom, it's grouted along the tub and clear siliconed over that. Over the years, the silicone has pulled away from the tub in places but it still looks nice as the grout doesn't seem impacted. No squeaks or rubbing.