wanting a smoother paint finish

The place for discussions that don't fit into any of the above categories
Mpmarvin

wanting a smoother paint finish

Post by Mpmarvin » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:59 pm

Got a question guys. I tried my hands at painting. I'm getting a finish the wife is not feeling
IMG_0540.JPG
IMG_0540.JPG (131.93 KiB) Viewed 96 times
IMG_0539.JPG
IMG_0539.JPG (145.65 KiB) Viewed 96 times
As you can see in these photos I have a lot of ripples. I used these to apply the primer
image.jpg
image.jpg (154.16 KiB) Viewed 96 times
And I use a foam roller to apply the paint.
But this is the result I'm getting. The wood I'm using is a birch veneer plywood. At least I believe it is. I sand it down on the palm sander from 60 to 120 to 220 grit. And feels smooth but I guess that's in comparison to what it feels like before sanding.

Any help guys would be appreciated. Wife doesn't want any of those ripples.

Here's the blue. Same thing
image.jpg
image.jpg (138.09 KiB) Viewed 96 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (170.71 KiB) Viewed 96 times

Aaron

Re: Paint Quality

Post by Aaron » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:52 pm

If you want a very smooth finish I think you probabably have to spray the paint rather than using a roller.

Mpmarvin

Post by Mpmarvin » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:04 pm

Aaron wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:52 pm
If you want a very smooth finish I think you probabably have to spray the paint rather than using a roller.
Thanks. I was talking with the wife and that's exactly what I thought you guys were going to say.
image.jpg
image.jpg (93.75 KiB) Viewed 92 times
This is what I'm aiming for. Blue lowers with white uppers

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:50 pm

That is exactly what you will get with a roller, regardless of foam or nap. IMHO, foam rollers are worse because they aerate the paint as it is applied, creating even more bubbles and bumps.

If you lay the paint off with a brush, you'll have long lines instead of the orange peel texture of the roller.

The only way to get a reasonably smooth finish is spraying. You can add flow additives to the paint that will help lessen the roller/brush marks, but you will always have them, spraying applies smaller beads of paint, hence why it's a smoother finish. You will want either an airless sprayer or an HVLP gun, though I'm not certain that an HVLP will shoot something as thick as latex, it is used primarily for lacquers and stains.

If your samples are on surfaces that you intend to keep, you can sand them once cured and shoot them again to smooth them out.
I'm CDO, it's the same thing as OCD, but in alphabetical order like it should be! I've also got a touch of AD/OS, Attention Deficit . . . Oh, Shiny!

Mpmarvin

Post by Mpmarvin » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:24 pm

I'm not really planning to do anything with these pieces. I'll just paint the other side of them with a sprayer. I ran across this post and the author makes this sprayer seem like it's heaven sent. I, on the other hand, am a bit skeptical. http://www.addicted2decorating.com/the- ... inish.html

Already learned my lesson with the Craftsman table saw.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:15 pm

If something sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

The problem with air guns is that they blow a lot of air, so you not only get a lot of drift and overspray, it dries the material out before it has a chance to hit the surface and settle. If you've got $100 burning a hole in your pocket, give it a shot, otherwise, save your money and put it towards something that is actually going to function as advertised.

I would shop for an airless sprayer, Wagner makes some inexpensive ones, you could probably find a decent professional grade one on Craigslist, or you could rent one, just make sure that it has been well cleaned before you start trying to use it and try to get a brand new tip or go buy your own tip so that you get the best possible results from the rental equipment.
I'm CDO, it's the same thing as OCD, but in alphabetical order like it should be! I've also got a touch of AD/OS, Attention Deficit . . . Oh, Shiny!

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:47 am

I use an electric sprayer for trim and doors. Here is a discussion from another post. viewtopic.php?t=5444
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

Mpmarvin

Post by Mpmarvin » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:18 pm

Guess I'll be going with a spray gun then. Probably will have to wait until I get in the house to try it out. Don't think my apartment paint station will handle a spray gun.

image.jpg
image.jpg (130.85 KiB) Viewed 63 times
Shannon wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:47 am
I use an electric sprayer for trim and doors. Here is a discussion from another post. viewtopic.php?t=5444
You think that gun will give a real smooth finish for cabinets? Also, I might have asked this already, but what kind of paint should I be looking to use for kitchen cabinets? Latex, oil etc?

A. Spruce

Re: wanting a smoother paint finish

Post by A. Spruce » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:29 pm

When I've asked the KM dealer this question I always get "alkyd", which is the oil replacement. Supposedly it has a harder finish that stands up to the abuse and moisture that cabinets have to endure. I've not used alkyds enough to have an opinion on them, most of what I have done is latex flat and semi-gloss work with only the occasional kitchen cabinet paint job.

Shannon

Re: wanting a smoother paint finish

Post by Shannon » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:46 pm

This gun gives me a smooth finish on trim and doors with latex paint. I would be guessing that it would spray alkyd paints pretty good as well. If you are buying one then I think I would go to the same version as I have but the HVLP type. Should be better for cabinets and less overspray i believe.

Amazon.com https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss ... agner+HLVP

Amazon.ca https://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... agner+HLVP
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon