Deal or no deal?

The place for discussions that don't fit into any of the above categories
Mpmarvin

Deal or no deal?

Post by Mpmarvin » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:17 pm

I see a lot of things on Craigslist but have no idea if it's a deal or not.
Would something like this be a deal?
https://cnj.craigslist.org/for/d/20-60- ... 63344.html
I guess without knowing what the product actually is it's hard to say.

A. Spruce

Re: Deal or no deal?

Post by A. Spruce » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:08 pm

Awful expensive firewood, if you ask me.

That is probably a lumber liquidator, a person or company that acquires seconds, freight damage, culled lumber, and stuff that is so warped and tweaked that other places just couldn't sell it.

Is it a good deal? Maybe, if you have a specific project that requires the crap they're selling, otherwise it truly is just firewood.
If you've found our videos, forum, and answers helpful, consider making a small donation to help us keep the lights on and the help flowing. 8-)

diytexas

Post by diytexas » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:52 am

Well, his email is a pallet company. I'm sure the wood is beat to hell, but that rustic look is popular here in texas.

Eh.....if he was local id maybe go take a look for this relatively small deck I plan to build around the corrugated metal shed.

I guess the deal depends totally on what youre looking to do with it.

diytexas

Post by diytexas » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:02 am

Isnt it a concern that bringing in used/old wood could open the doors to wood beetles and other destructive insects?

I know someone personally that bought NEW lumber from out of state that had an insect issue. It wasnt discovered until years after the log home was built.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:30 am

That old beat up wood is a desirable look, but just remember that is all you are getting IMO. It is really hard to tell the actual condition since all they are showing is the ends. Would have been better for them to show a few boards laying out. I'd have a look in person before I purchased any.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:07 am

If that is a pallet company and those are disassembled pallets, you don't want it! Pallets are treated with god knows what so that they won't harbor pests as they are shipped around the world.
If you've found our videos, forum, and answers helpful, consider making a small donation to help us keep the lights on and the help flowing. 8-)

Derman

Post by Derman » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:50 am

This is very true. If it's pallets, no ideal.