Decking

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
rabboud

Decking

Post by rabboud » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:36 pm

Hi,

I had a pressure treated wood deck installed but it warped within 6 months. I am thinking of redoing it with cedarwood instead. Do you think cedarwood would last longer and does it have to be stained. If so, how often should I stain it. There is no shading and with the Texas heat I thought cedarwood would be a better choice.

A. Spruce

Re: Decking

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:20 pm

Pressure treated lumber is an extremely poor choice as a deck surface, framing structure fine, but not a deck surface. Cedar should hold up quite a lot better, though with the environmental extremes of Texas, I think you'll be hard pressed to get anything to wear well. Having said that, typically woods with high tanin content are weather resistant, cedar, redwood, spruce, that sort of thing.

Applying a preservative coating, whether a sealer or stain or paint will help the wood survive. How often you have to recoat will depend on the product used and the amount of traffic the deck sees. High traffic will need recoating at least once a year, probably 2 or 3 times. As for a product, it's been a very long time since I've done a deck, Penofin and Ducks Back used to be the hot ticket. These are both brand names, should you choose to do some research on them. 8-)
I'm CDO, it's the same thing as OCD, but in alphabetical order like it should be! I've also got a touch of AD/OS, Attention Deficit . . . Oh, Shiny!