Exterior Door install in too large of opening

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
Rockie

Exterior Door install in too large of opening

Post by Rockie » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:14 pm

I came into a deal I couldn't pass up, so purchased an exterior door with side lights which is 69" wide and the opening is 73" wide. How best to compensate for extra width? It doesn't matter if I center the new door so is it better to move door to one side and build up other side? Thanks.

A. Spruce

Re: Exterior Door install in too large of opening

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:23 pm

I think I'd nail a 2x on either side and then shim the rest, keeping the new door centered in the opening so that when you trim it out it will have equal sized trim all the way around.
I'm CDO, it's the same thing as OCD, but in alphabetical order like it should be! I've also got a touch of AD/OS, Attention Deficit . . . Oh, Shiny!

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:19 pm

Yup I totally agree with Spruce. That is exactly what you need to do. If you are going to have a door narrower then the opening that is a size difference that is easy to deal with and still cover the extra framing with trim.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

Rockie

Post by Rockie » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:22 pm

A. Spruce wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:23 pm
I think I'd nail a 2x on either side and then shim the rest, keeping the new door centered in the opening so that when you trim it out it will have equal sized trim all the way around.
Thanks for the suggestion however I forgot to tell you that the door (every door inside and outside) is finished without trim. Therefore the stucco on the outside, comes right up to the outside edge of the jamb and the wall board, on the inside, comes right up to the jamb. So, I am looking to align either two 2x6's on each side or two 4x6's and an additional 1/4" board on one side as (I think) will be necessary, in order to take up the 4" difference in size. I believe the 4x6's would look better and be more water proof. What do you think?
Although, I have not as yet taken out the old door, so there may be some surprises. This house, upon occasion, has surprises as I take things apart.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:57 pm

I'm not sure how you will get 4x6s or double 2x6s on each side of the opening when you only have 4" of space to work with?? You have lost me with this idea?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:11 pm

I would install as I suggested then install trim around the door to cover the difference. An alternative would be to have a stucco guy come fill in around the door.
I'm CDO, it's the same thing as OCD, but in alphabetical order like it should be! I've also got a touch of AD/OS, Attention Deficit . . . Oh, Shiny!