Garage door opener won't go down

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
aviran9111

Garage door opener won't go down

Post by aviran9111 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:22 pm

Hey again,
I installed my garage door opener and have followed the manual and manual adjusted the up and down path and so does the force up, but when the system try to adjust to power down, its stuck, sometimes blinks (as been interrupt) or most like, just bip twice. I have attached a video to show the noise.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_UJ0Q ... sp=sharing
(Please ignore the door position, it happens as well on the upward position when I try to lower it.

Also, as for the sensors, I try to align them but it seems they sometimes blink and sometimes totally off. The opener is brand new, is it possible the sensors is damaged?

Thank you for the answer!

mikeyitis

Re: Garage door opener won't go down

Post by mikeyitis » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:54 pm

I know that the safety sensors need to be lined up with each other perfectly for the door to go down, but I think it will still go up even if they aren't aligned. Where is that sound coming from right after you push the button and right before the beeping noise?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:16 pm

What does the trouble shooting section of the manual say for the unit to beep like that?
The manual should tell you what the sensor lights should be doing when properly aligned. I do not know what brand of opener that is so referencing the manual would be the place to start. I would guess it is your sensors out of alignment but not sure.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:29 pm

Start by checking all your connections that they are both secure and properly located. The door sensors need to be in alignment, if they are not, the door will not function. Most door sensors have lights on them, green when they're aligned, red when they are not or something is breaking the beam. The opener itself probably has a light on it that flashes in conjunction to the door sensor malfunction.

As Shannon suggests, go through the troubleshooting guide in the owner's manual, if that proves fruitless, you may want to call the listed 800 number for the manufacturer's helpline.
If you've found our videos, forum, and answers helpful, consider making a small donation to help us keep the lights on and the help flowing. 8-)

aviran9111

Post by aviran9111 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:57 am

I would probably have to call, since it doesn't say anything about 2 beep\2 flashes (it starts from a minimum of three). I thought it was the alignment as well but as this point I am not so sure the sensors are working correctly.
Do the beam has a maximum operation length? maybe above certain ft they can't operate? because one of them was pressed to the door frame but the other one had to be drilled into the wall.

As for the model - 0.5 HP chain mastercraft

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:18 am

Try this, take a short piece of wire, a foot or so, and connect the sensors together, then another short piece of wire and connect them to the opener. It's possible that the wires have been damaged in some manner, doing this will basically remove the wire from the equation. If you've still got a problem with beeps/flashing light, it's probably a circuit board problem, if it goes away, you know that the wire was damaged some how.
If you've found our videos, forum, and answers helpful, consider making a small donation to help us keep the lights on and the help flowing. 8-)

aviran9111

Post by aviran9111 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:40 am

I have found the problem - those sensors goes to standby after 10 seconds of initial operation, regardless if they are aligned or not. I have put the on the floor facing each other as a test and the door work perfectly. I know need to drill them into the concert floor, but it's better then nothing. Thank for everything, including the videos on YouTube which helped me a lot!!!

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:55 am

Uh, DO NOT disable the door sensors, they protect more than life and limb, they'll prevent property damage as well by not allowing the door to close on something you didn't realize was there.

The sensors are designed to be attached to the track or screwed to the wall behind the track, not anchored to the floor.

There has to be a way to override the "standby" mode while trying to install and adjust the sensors, even if that means making your adjustments, unplugging the opener for a moment, then plug in and continue your adjustments and testing. If the installation instructions are not clear, contact the manufacturer for assistance.

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:38 pm

aviran9111 wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:40 am
I have found the problem - those sensors goes to standby after 10 seconds of initial operation, regardless if they are aligned or not. I have put the on the floor facing each other as a test and the door work perfectly.
That doesn't make sense to me. If they go into standby (which I've never heard of) ... they would still do it even if they were on the floor facing each other.

It was good to be able to test your door ... but I think they weren't aligned properly to begin with.
~~ This space for rent ... apply within :mrgreen: ~~

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:42 pm

Ya I think the alignment was not right to start with also.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon