Casement window adjustment - not closing

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
chajo15

Casement window adjustment - not closing

Post by chajo15 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:36 am

Hi Shannon,
I have recently installed dual vinyl casement windows by American Craftsman from Andersen. The right sash opens and closes perfectly fine and is sitting square. The left sash opens and closes, but at full close, prior to locking, the top of the sash has a 1/4" gap between the sash and side stop. and the bottom is flush against the side stop and sill.
I have tried to use the adjustment screws at the top and bottom of the sash, but that does not seem to change the gap. The window still locks but I am concerned that the gap will only grow larger and allow outside air into my home.
The window is level and within 1/8" square. Any advice or recommendations on how to close that gap?

Thanks, John

Shannon

Re: Casement window adjustment - not closing

Post by Shannon » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:06 am

Once the lock is closed does it pull the window in so it is closed all around? If so there is no problem. The locking system should be what seals the window up properly not the crank handle.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

chajo15

Post by chajo15 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:29 am

The lock does pull the window in, but it is not fully closed at the top. It almost seems as though the sash may be twisted or the upper control arm was not installed properly.

chajo15

Post by chajo15 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:21 am

I called American Craftsman and they think it is a manufacturing defect and will be sending me a new sash. Thanks for the quick response and I have really enjoyed watching the you tube videos. They are always helpful when i am tackling home improvement projects. I'll post back once I get the new window and let you know if it fixed the issue.

I thought this was an odd circumstance since there were no videos or questions in forums to address this type of issue.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:43 pm

Looking forward to seeing if that fixes the issue.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon