Hanging hoist in garage to hold 220lbs on a TJI joist

The place for discussions that don't fit into any of the above categories
LAWBC

Hanging hoist in garage to hold 220lbs on a TJI joist

Post by LAWBC » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:05 am

Bought this electric hoist with a cap. to lift 220lbs.
https://garagegator.com/product/garage- ... el-gg8220/
My garage is below living space with a ceiling height of 11 ft. and the span on the TJI joist is 16 ft on 16 inch centers.
My question is should I be looking to open the ceiling and bracing across the joists or could I screw up through the drywall into the 2x3 bottom rim of the joist ?
The pic is where I want to mount it, just before the beam or in front of where I have my bike mounted ( I used lag screws on the bike mount). There is a TV cable which will go but it is shows near the electrical outlet that will supply power for the hoist.
My plan is to mount the plate so as to straddle 2 joist and then run the bar and subsequent the other pulley to the end of one joist.
I emailed Strong Tie if they produce this piece , see below, which might be a reasonable for reinforcing but the engineer looking at my email could not pull up You Tube ( go figure) and wants a pic of it . Anyone know of this brace in the market ?
https://youtu.be/T24waTvxLmQ?t=12m31s
Thank you
Attachments
Garage Ceiling .jpg
Garage Ceiling .jpg (39.83 KiB) Viewed 159 times

A. Spruce

Re: Hanging hoist in garage to hold 220lbs on a TJI joist

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:50 am

I think I would contact a TJI joist manufacturer and ask them if hanging a bike off the bottom cord of a joist would cause any problems. I, personally, can't see why it would, that bike probably weighs less than 75 pounds and the weight will be spread across at least two fastening points, however, I have never used TJI joists, so I cannot comment on how any additional stress applied to a point not designed for that stress will affect the joist.

The bracketry in the video is absolutely something you could construct yourself, should you choose to open up the drywall. It's a great idea on how to have the entire joist carry the load, rather than the bottom cord alone.

Want to build that bracket yourself? Cut the plywood as described in the video, cut two 2x4 blocks to fit between the plywood and joist bay. Nail or screw the 2x4s at the bottom edge of the plywood aligned with the hoist attachment holes. Install the bracket by nailing or screwing through the plywood into the top and bottom cords of the joist. Patch the drywall, paint, and hang your hoist.
If you've found our videos, forum, and answers helpful, consider making a small donation to help us keep the lights on and the help flowing. 8-)

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:05 pm

I personally think you should have no problems with the tgi holding the weight but that is just my opinion. As mentioned using the top of them would be better and you could design that on your own
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:25 pm

I would just screw on a small sheet of plywood over the drywall and bolt it into two joists with 2" deck screws. Then put the clamp between the the joists so the load is distributed between the two joists. Paint the plywood white or whatever. That seems like it would be easiest thing.

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:43 am

I have owned that exact Garage Gator for like 5 years or more. It's super handy for bikes, golf clubs, etc.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:23 am

Admin wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:43 am
I have owned that exact Garage Gator for like 5 years or more. It's super handy for bikes, golf clubs, etc.

Your gator is suspended form two different trusses bolted into the bottom cords and not a TGI . TGI should hold more weight .IMO
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:57 am

I don’t know what TJI/TGI is so I didn’t comment on the mounting ;)

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:34 am

Admin wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:57 am
I don’t know what TJI/TGI is so I didn’t comment on the mounting ;)
They are an engineered joist, made out of plywood or OSB. I'm not a fan because they've got a whole lot more spring/bounce to them than lumber, but they can span more, so . . .
If you've found our videos, forum, and answers helpful, consider making a small donation to help us keep the lights on and the help flowing. 8-)

DanM

Post by DanM » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:20 pm

You can hang that off a pair of TGI joists with 100% certainty, they can easily handle the load. Just don't go too big on the screws, Bracket thickness + 1/2" (or 5/8") for the drywall thickness + the thickness of the bottom of the joist (can't tell from the pics which orientation the 2x3 parts are. If the long side is vertical add 2.5", if it's horizontal add 1.5").

Also stick to regular screws, something good for exterior use (deck screws or galvanized). Don't use lag screws they're too big and there's too high of a chance they'll split/crack/break the 2x3. All the tension and compression is handled by the 2x3's, and if you compromise them the joist isn't good anymore. Your ceiling won't collapse or anything catastrophic like that, but it would likely mean you'd need to replace or sister up the joist to support it which needless to say would be a major pain in the arse and the wallet.

LAWBC

Post by LAWBC » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:21 pm

Got the info, you guys that weighted in were right, yes you can and here is the
the doc that proves it. Just waiting on the builder to give me the series number for the TJI, although for what I have it appears I have a lot of margin with the 230 series and up.
https://www.weyerhaeuser.com/woodproduc ... ail/tb-808

Also I have had good success with these kind of joist, they do not sag or deflect in anyway, very happy with this kind of framing construction.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:29 pm

Thanks for the update and the link. 8-)

LAWBC

UpDated and installed Hanging hoist in garage to hold 220lbs on a TJI joist

Post by LAWBC » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:38 pm

So the hoist is up and working , love the idea of getting more real-estate from the garage floor. The only trick was too make sure that I was off center with anchor screws so as not to interfere with the joists' web . To do this I used a 2.5 inch hole saw to open up the drywall at the joist to make certain that I was where my stud finder had it placed I did that in 2 locations and struck a line. After that it was drill and screw. I have added a tether to the base as stop any side to side movement in case of a earth shaker, as well i will be clamping anything that lives on the platform to it. I also will place a sticker on the hoist and platform that limits it to 100 lbs ( just a safety factor)
Thanks all for your input!
Sorry about the pic being on its side cannot correct it .
Attachments
GAR MOD 00.jpg
GAR MOD 00.jpg (83.01 KiB) Viewed 61 times

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:51 pm

A tip for future location of studs behind drywall, locate with your stud finder, then use a small diameter nail to probe through the drywall to find your edges. This is a relatively nondestructive way to accomplish what you did with a holesaw. Most of the time, whatever you're installing will cover the nail punctures, but in the event that it doesn't, a bit of spackle or drywall mud will fill the punctures and make them invisible. Other than that, congratulations on completing your project, and we very much appreciate you updating us on your progress/completion. 8-)

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:06 pm

I want to build a heavy-duty hoist to get my lawnmower out of the way in the winter, and the snowblower out of the way in the summer. Those--appliances?--take soooo much space and drive me nuts.

What would you call them? Appliances? Tools?

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:25 pm

Aaron wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:06 pm
What would you call them? Appliances? Tools?
I'd call them equipment. The typical push mower is less than 100 pounds, so hanging it somewhere with a hoist system is easily done. A snow blower, on the other hand, weighs significantly more, so make sure that both the hoist and the attachment points into the structure are up to the task.

An alternative might be to build a rack that you can stack the mower and blower on, basically, whichever one is being used, park it under the rack and drive the unused implement up ramps onto the rack. This way, you have to implements within one space. You could probably add another platform above the top implement for additional storage of seasonal gear or lesser used items.