Laminate to concrete transition strip ideas

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
vancouver-diyer

Laminate to concrete transition strip ideas

Post by vancouver-diyer » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:26 pm

Hi,

I'm looking for advice on installing a transition between laminate and concrete.

This is a basement. Part of the concrete slab is finished with laminate (concrete/DMX 1 step/10 mm laminate, maybe 3/4 inch thick), so the transition is from the laminate down to the slab.

I was thinking either concrete screws, but that would look ugly as the screws wouldn't' match the finish of the transition strip, or just gluing it to the laminate with adhesive.

Any thoughts, or better methods?? Thanks!

A. Spruce

Re: Laminate to concrete transition strip ideas

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:32 pm

Depending on the products you are using, there are glues and attachment strips that will make that transition. I've seen metal strips fastened to the surface with either glue or mechanical fasteners, then the transition strip locks into the metal strip. I've seen this mostly in commercial applications. In residential applications, you're basically going from the laminate to the bare floor, reducers of this nature are either nailed or glued, again, depending on the installation requirements. In your case, over concrete, you'd glue the transition in place. Here the question then becomes, do you glue the transition to the floor or only to the mating laminate? I would say that first and foremost you refer to the manufacturer's installation instructions, from there I'd say for a floating floor you would glue the transition to the mating laminate, for a glued down floor you'd glue the transition to the floor.
I'm CDO, it's the same thing as OCD, but in alphabetical order like it should be! I've also got a touch of AD/OS, Attention Deficit . . . Oh, Shiny!