Basement Exterior Door Insulation

The place for discussions that don't fit into any of the above categories
PaulCefola

Basement Exterior Door Insulation

Post by PaulCefola » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:30 am

I have an exterior door in my basement that goes to the outside thru a bulkhead. This door is hollow and I believe it is a major reason for the basement being very cold in the winter. Originally we did not worry about the basement being cold. However now I am looking for economical alternatives for insulating this door.

rsihota

Re: Basement Exterior Door Insulation

Post by rsihota » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:58 am

I had the same issue, I went to home depot , and was recommended this product

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Express-Pro ... /202366685

you can see the video on right, I did not end up going for this option in my basement , because a friend had a used door and helped me install it.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:57 pm

A hollow door will actually have a bit more thermal efficiency to it because of the dead air space not only acting as an insulative layer, but it also separates the exterior skin from the interior skin, creating a thermal break. The reason for solid doors at exterior access points is for security, a solid door is much harder to kick in than a hollow door, and it is for this reason that I would recommend replacement of the existing door. You can likely just replace the door slab itself and leave the existing jamb in place. This is a much cheaper and easier solution to changing a door than swapping out the entire door frame.

As for insulation, other than good weather stripping around the door to stop air leaks, there isn't a whole lot you can do. If this is a little used or never used door, you can tape plastic over the opening to seal it.
I'm CDO, it's the same thing as OCD, but in alphabetical order like it should be! I've also got a touch of AD/OS, Attention Deficit . . . Oh, Shiny!

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:07 pm

Most exterior doors that are "cold" are not sealed well or no wether strip at all.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon