Q's about vapor barrier

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
Claudia

Q's about vapor barrier

Post by Claudia » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:51 pm

So I installed the vapor barrier (6 mil poly) all around the room in my cabin. I used a continuous roll all around the walls and 2 parallel rolls on the ceiling. Despite my best efforts, a few wrinkles formed. Where the wrinkles travel to the edge of the poly, I put a bead of acoustical inside the wrinkle to prevent air flow. I also taped all the seams. And then I went OCD and put a bead of acoustical and a piece of tape on every.single.staple. I'm obsessing a bit about the wrinkles - are they a problem? I do think I got each one caulked up real good.

If I never see another bead of Tremco, it'll be too soon. :roll:

Also, the electrical guy can't come till after Xmas, so it'll be about 2 months now before I can drywall. Is that a problem for the poly, being exposed? Nobody will be in the cabin meanwhile...

A. Spruce

Re: Q's about vapor barrier

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:00 pm

While I'm no VB expert, I highly doubt that a few wrinkles here and there are going to amount to any issues. Sealing every staple is definitely overkill, however, since this is your house you get to do it any way you like. When the drywall goes on, you'll be perforating the VB with fasteners anyway.

Bummer that the electrician is so far out. Leaving the VB exposed is not an issue, so long as it's not being abused in the interim.
I'm CDO, it's the same thing as OCD, but in alphabetical order like it should be! I've also got a touch of AD/OS, Attention Deficit . . . Oh, Shiny!

Claudia

Post by Claudia » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:08 pm

Thanks! The staple-taping was more of an OCD-what-else-can-I-do-now thing when I found out I have to wait for the electrical guy. And to use the left over Tremco....

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:29 pm

Oh, I totally get the OCD thing, I tend to be that way with my stuff as well. 8-)
I'm CDO, it's the same thing as OCD, but in alphabetical order like it should be! I've also got a touch of AD/OS, Attention Deficit . . . Oh, Shiny!

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:58 am

So do you mean the electrician has not yet wired the cabin? If not how is he going to do that if you have the vapour barrier all sealed up?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

Claudia

Post by Claudia » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:46 am

Like I said in my other post, all the wires and boxes will be inside the vapor barrier. I'll put 2x2 and 2x4 nailer boards inside the vapor barrier, and 1.5"foam between them, or 1" where there are wires, which will be between the foam and poly. Neighbor's house is built like that......

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:42 pm

Claudia wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:46 am
Like I said in my other post, all the wires and boxes will be inside the vapor barrier. I'll put 2x2 and 2x4 nailer boards inside the vapor barrier, and 1.5"foam between them, or 1" where there are wires, which will be between the foam and poly. Neighbor's house is built like that......
Oh sorry I did not realize this was you again Claudia.
You did what you can do with the wrinkles and should have no issues IMO.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

Claudia

Post by Claudia » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:46 pm

Thanks :) Did I say I really appreciate your videos? They have helped a lot trying to figure all this out. That and the dear neighbors ;)

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:05 pm

You are welcome