New Pella 350 Windows Installation

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
rahul989

New Pella 350 Windows Installation

Post by rahul989 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:38 am

Hello Shannon

We recently got Pella to install 350 series windows in our home. they suggested to go with nail fin installation and we agreed. The installer however removed all the nailing fins when windows arrived at our home citing the reason that it does not fit. Now the exterior looks like as attached in the pictures and the installer will cover that on the borders with aluminum and caulking. Our concern is no water protection in this type of installation despite paying so much money to Pella. Can you please comment and suggest what options do we have?

Thanks
Chander
Attachments
IMG_0846.JPG
IMG_0846.JPG (93.03 KiB) Viewed 78 times
IMG_0845.JPG
IMG_0845.JPG (97.37 KiB) Viewed 78 times

Shannon

Re: New Pella 350 Windows Installation

Post by Shannon » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:03 am

I am not familiar with Pella windows. Did they have to cut the nail fin off or do theirs pull off? Why were the windows not correct? Who measured them before ordering? If it was their people then I would be upset that they were ordered wrong and modified in this way to fit. How much to narrow were they? Are there other options like maybe top have a snap in brick mould attached to the exterior instead?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:31 am

If the screw up was your fault on the measurements then you could have them fix it by the following: I see on the website that they have what they call a "flush flange" that looks like it can be cut and installed to the exterior of the window into that small groove. Maybe they can build up around the exterior of the windows with wood to the right thickness and width for the space behind that "flush flange",wrap that in white aluminum ,install the flush flange over it and seal properly? This will not be relying on a bead of caulk right at the exposed cavity between what they wanted to do and the vinyl window frame but instead further out away from the exposed opening. Sealing right to the window frame is going to be a spot where you will be constantly resealing top keep water out IMO.
If the screw up was theirs then I would not pay until they replace the windows with the proper size.
It is not uncommon for their to be a slight difference in the window depth and the cavity depth because of slight differences in materials used in the framing of the house and up to even a 1/4" difference could have been easily handled differently IMO on the inside and anything even worse could have been also remedied better then cutting off the exterior nail fin.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

rahul989

Post by rahul989 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:07 am

Thank you so much for the prompt reply. Pella did all the measurements and ordered the product that installer received. The installer is saying that nail fin cannot be installed in our home for two reasons 1) there is only insulation behind the siding (nothing to nail the fin on) and 2) due to the size. We are just home owners who asked Pella to do it for us. The installer is saying that aluminum covering and caulking/sealant will prevent any possible water penetration. I am adding a picture of what that looks like.
Attachments
IMG_7378.JPG
IMG_7378.JPG (155.66 KiB) Viewed 68 times

rahul989

Post by rahul989 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:09 am

and yes installer had to cut off the nail fins received on the windows from Pella in order to install.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:40 pm

So your home has no plywood sheathing under the foam? Cause I would have cut out the foam and added some solid wood to attach to. As far as the size being to large ,what were they referring to??
Regardless the way the installer did the aluminum looks like they positioned the inside edge in a good spot for proper caulking, they put it to the inside of the vinyl frame lip I think form what I can tell and not just butted to the window.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:49 pm

I hate to say this, but if the installer modified the windows, you can probably kiss your warranty goodbye. Since Pella measured and spec'd a finned window, odds are that was the correct installation method. As Shannon states, if there was no wood to nail to, which doesn't make sense, then a filler strip should have been added. Covering holes with aluminum and caulk is not my idea of a "fix".

I think I'd have Pella come back out and take a look at it, if they have any problems with it, such as voided warranty, then go after the installer for replacement value and hire a Pella approved installer to do the replacement. My experience with failed workmanship is that you DO NOT want the same idiot back to "correct" the problem that they created because you already know what kind of work they're going to do, which defeats the purpose of having the work redone.
I'm CDO, it's the same thing as OCD, but in alphabetical order like it should be! I've also got a touch of AD/OS, Attention Deficit . . . Oh, Shiny!

rahul989

Post by rahul989 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:35 am

Thank you Shannon and A Spruce for your replies. Pella is providing the product and the installer so warranty may not be an issue. The only issue is the higher price charged by Pella for nail fin installation which was not done due to reasons cited by the installer.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:46 pm

I think many of these questions need to be pointed to Pella instead ? As we both stated this would not have been our first choice in doing this job, but this is how their installed did it and you need to be sure that they are going to stand behind it and maybe even credit you some dollars back since it was screwed up.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:01 pm

Shannon wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:46 pm
I think many of these questions need to be pointed to Pella instead ?
Yep, Pella needs to be aware of what their installers are doing so that they can either correct their installers methods or retrain their measuring/ordering crews so that mistakes like this don't happen to others. The biggest thing, in my mind, is maintaining the warranty, Pella windows are expensive and nobody wants to buy them twice. By keeping Pella involved in this they are aware of the problem BEFORE the necessity of a claim arises, making it all the more difficult for them to skinny out from under liability. It should go without saying that whatever agreement is reached, that it should be in writing, since nothing means anything that is not in writing these days.

Bonus if you can get some money back for fins that were not needed or used, but don't expect it. 8-)
I'm CDO, it's the same thing as OCD, but in alphabetical order like it should be! I've also got a touch of AD/OS, Attention Deficit . . . Oh, Shiny!