Sprinkler System problems?

Discuss plumbing related issues here - pex, drains, etc.
Mpmarvin

Sprinkler System problems?

Post by Mpmarvin » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:40 am

Hi fellas. Think I have a problem here. Last night went outside late and noticed this..
IMG_4478.JPG
IMG_4478.JPG (164.01 KiB) Viewed 57 times
It's "slowly" seeping water from the top grey part and running along the fixture to the ground. I located the valve to it in the basement this morning and shut it off and that seems to be working for now.
Last night I thought I should just let it run so it wouldn't freeze, at least that was my theory.
Question is why is this seeping like this all of a sudden and what should I do?
Did the freeze we had come through here the past couple of days do me in?
Am I screwed? Should I run back to the old apartment with my tail between my legs and hands in the air screaming "YOU WIN YOU WIN, I CAN'T MANAGE A HOUSE"

Shannon

Re: Sprinkler System problems?

Post by Shannon » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:44 am

Well first off ...What is this? It is no sprinkler system I have ever seen? Do you low how it works?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

Mpmarvin

Post by Mpmarvin » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:57 am

Shannon wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:44 am
Well first off ...What is this? It is no sprinkler system I have ever seen? Do you low how it works?
I have no idea. I know some landscaping guy came by and mentioned something about it being part of the sprinkler system or at least that's what I thought he said. There is a wire that runs to where this pipe goes out the basement. I'll try to trace that line and see where it connects and see if that lends some clues

Mpmarvin

Post by Mpmarvin » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:45 am

Here's some more photos in the basement
IMG_4485.JPG
IMG_4485.JPG (62.67 KiB) Viewed 51 times
The wire coming out of the wall I'm pretty sure I traced back to sprinkler system below
IMG_4484.JPG
IMG_4484.JPG (83.73 KiB) Viewed 51 times
The valve on the right is the one I turned which stopped the water from running
IMG_4482.JPG
IMG_4482.JPG (88.57 KiB) Viewed 51 times
This is the sprinkler system
IMG_4480.JPG
IMG_4480.JPG (70.89 KiB) Viewed 51 times
This is one part of the water hook up. I'll have to really look at what's going on. Seems like there's two meters for the water. Or I'm getting free water to a certain point.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:16 am

Though odd, that does look like a sprinkler control valve. Turn the water back on and turn on that circuit, either manually or by the timer control, and see what happens.

Assuming that it's a control valve, the air break diaphragm has probably ruptured, either due to age or freeze, and will need to be replaced. If you're getting freezing, then the system should be turned off and drained for the winter.
I'm CDO, it's the same thing as OCD, but in alphabetical order like it should be! I've also got a touch of AD/OS, Attention Deficit . . . Oh, Shiny!

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:14 pm

So in your last picture that should be your water meter from the city, The unit outside that was leaking will be the valve that the sprinkler timer opens and closes depending on the timer settings. I generally have seen those inside the house not outside.The copper line is the water coming to it from the house and the black line is the sprinkler lines.
Inside that unit there is likely either an O ring gone or the housing may have cracked if it froze.

BTW, received your Paypal today, thank you very much.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

Mpmarvin

Post by Mpmarvin » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:51 pm

So you think I should try to replace that O ring first?
Shannon wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:14 pm

BTW, received your Paypal today, thank you very much.
Thanks goes to you guys here. Helping us learn and do for ourselves

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:59 pm

The way I would look at it is that you don't need the sprinkler system anymore this year, so turn off the system. If you want to play with it now, go ahead and take the top off the control valve and see what's inside. The CVs here use a diaphragm and it's cheaper to just replace the whole thing than to mess with trying to source parts and spend a lot of time trying to rebuild it. If yours has o-rings that have gone bad, then swap out the o-rings. Look for a manufacturer's mark and model number on the valve, then go to either an Ace Hardware or an irrigation supply house, either of these locations should have rebuild parts.
I'm CDO, it's the same thing as OCD, but in alphabetical order like it should be! I've also got a touch of AD/OS, Attention Deficit . . . Oh, Shiny!

Mpmarvin

Post by Mpmarvin » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:04 pm

A. Spruce wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:59 pm
The way I would look at it is that you don't need the sprinkler system anymore this year, so turn off the system.
This was my thinking also. I think this year I might have the pros get it ready for winter and then follow Shannon videos afterwards.