Water Ball Valve Leaking

Discuss plumbing related issues here - pex, drains, etc.
rudyy

Water Ball Valve Leaking

Post by rudyy » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:16 pm

I have the water ball valve leaking. It is the type of valve that is in open position when the handle is parallel to the pipe. If I have to replace it, how can I take it off the two pieces of pipes connected on both ends even though there is a thread on both ends? Can I just rotate the valve to take it off or do I have to cut both ends of the valve?

Thanks,

Rudy

Shannon

Re: Water Ball Valve Leaking

Post by Shannon » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:43 pm

Can you post a picture?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

rudyy

Post by rudyy » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:56 am

Here is the photo
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (176.33 KiB) Viewed 62 times

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:28 am

Since that was a soldered valve, it was likely heated too hot, warping or melting the sealing surfaces and causing the leak.

You will have to cut the pipe to remove said valve. If the length of pipe is more than 6 feet, you can probably remove the retaining clips holding it to the wall and flex it enough to install new valve and pipe parts. If you can't do that, then you'll have to install a threaded union.

I would recommend using a threaded valve with threaded fittings and 6" pipe stubs out of it. You make up the stubs, screw them into the valve, then install the valve. This keeps the heat of soldering away from the valve, thus preventing damage.
I'm CDO, it's the same thing as OCD, but in alphabetical order like it should be! I've also got a touch of AD/OS, Attention Deficit . . . Oh, Shiny!

rudyy

Post by rudyy » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:49 am

We do not have any soldering equipment. Can we use this kind of connector (not the T connector) as a workaround to connect two metal pipes?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (111.22 KiB) Viewed 60 times

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:09 pm

I don't know what that particular type of fitting is. What I can tell you is that you can use Shark Bite fittings. I've used them a few times, though not when captive like your situation. Like I said, if you can flex the pipe you can probably work captive, if you can't flex the pipe, then you'll need a threaded union to connect things together.
I'm CDO, it's the same thing as OCD, but in alphabetical order like it should be! I've also got a touch of AD/OS, Attention Deficit . . . Oh, Shiny!

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:59 pm

You can cut that valve out and then use a Sharkbite Slip couple and Sharkbite ball valve . You my have to cut a little extra pipe out to have then room to do the repair. Basically the valve will slide on to one end of the pipe you cut and the slip couple will slip onto the other and a piece of pex or copper is used between the two to connect them. Basically the slip couple is designed to slip on to an existing pipe and slide back about an extra 2" so that you have room to get the valve on the other side and then the slip couple can be slid back towards the valve and the two joined using a piece of pipe.

http://www.sharkbite.com/product/slip-c ... -and-cpvc/
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:05 pm

Shannon wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:59 pm
use a Slip couple
Didn't know those were approved for residential water. I've used them in irrigation repairs dozens of times.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:24 pm

A. Spruce wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:05 pm
Shannon wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:59 pm
use a Slip couple
Didn't know those were approved for residential water. I've used them in irrigation repairs dozens of times.
This is actually a Sharkbite fitting. Not sure if you are thinking of something else?

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:03 pm

Oh, no, I heard you say SB fitting, which indicates that it's an approved apparatus. I was just commenting that the only slip joints I've used have been in irrigation repair. Sorry if there was any confusion with that.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:17 am

A. Spruce wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:03 pm
Oh, no, I heard you say SB fitting, which indicates that it's an approved apparatus. I was just commenting that the only slip joints I've used have been in irrigation repair. Sorry if there was any confusion with that.
No problem ,I was not sure if you caught that or not. They are actually really handy for this kind of thing when you need to repair copper especially if you can not get enough slack to move it around.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:48 pm

I would definitely go for a push-fit ball valve to replace that existing one; I agree with Spruce's suspicion that the internals of that existing ball valve likely got deformed and damaged from soldering.

Push-fit come from many different manufacturers, Sharkbite is a common one.