Vinyl Siding at Garage door enclosure

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
alexs

Vinyl Siding at Garage door enclosure

Post by alexs » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:01 am

Hello Shannon
Thanks for all the great videos!
I am replacing my garage door with a wood-stud wall. I want to use vinyl siding to cover the new wall and the approx. 2 foot of block/stucco wall left, right and on top of the new stud wall. I already have a window that I will put into the new wall which has a nailing flange and integrated J-channel. What I am not sure about, do I nail the vinyl siding directly to the stucco wall or do I have to add sheathing or furring strips to the stucco wall and make the new stud/plywood wall flush with the furring strips / plywood sheating?
Or is there another way to do this?
I life in the US/Florida.
Thanks!
Alex

Shannon

Re: Vinyl Siding at Garage door enclosure

Post by Shannon » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:50 pm

Vinyl siding should not be installed directly over stucco surfaces in my opinion.The abrasiveness of the stucco could wear the back side of the vinyl excessively over time as it will move with weather changes. I personally would cut and remove the stucco but I suppose you could strap the surface and then install vinyl over that.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

alexs

Post by alexs » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:03 am

Hello Shannon,
Thanks for the respond!
Just so I understand you correctly, I make the wall studs flush with the stucco wall and then put 3/4" plywood sheathing over the stud wall and the stucco wall and nail the siding directly to the Plywood. Would you use exterior grade plywood? Would you cover the whole plywood wall with felt paper for a moisture barrier?
Thanks!
Alex

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:02 pm

Yes framing flush to the face of the stucco, 1/2" plywood over the framing horizontal strips of plywood at bottom of siding height and at top of wall and then vertical strips of 1/2" plywood every 16" and at the corners of the walls over the stucco . You should have house wrap installed over the entire wall as well before siding. Exterior grade plywood is needed. How will you be finishing the ends of the siding? J channel? If so then you will need to do something to finish the edge of plywood that will show afterwards. Some coloured metal applied before the J channel goes on would be my choice.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

alexs

Post by alexs » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:00 pm

Hello Shannon,
thanks for clearing thinks up. I had one more question, do I attach the house wrap to the solid 1/2" plywood layer or on top of the 1/2" strips?
Not sure yet what I will do to the Plywood edge yet, maybe attach some Alu-flashing.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:22 am

The strips are only over the stucco area so you have something to attach the siding to and to keep it away from the stucco surface and the plywood sheeting is over the new wall. Attach the house wrap over the entire surface covering the straps and the sheets.