Fixing a drywall patching mistake

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
pschellekens

Fixing a drywall patching mistake

Post by pschellekens » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:59 am

Hi,

I patched my garage ceiling with 45 minute hot mud and didn't do a great job making the edges smooth. I only discovered it after putting the primer on. How would you recommend fixing this?

Sanding will be hard given the primer. Should I just add more compound on the edges and feather it out over a larger area, then sand and prime again? Would you recommend topping compound as opposed to hot mud?

Thanks
Philip
Attachments
IMG_2140.JPG
IMG_2140.JPG (25.55 KiB) Viewed 35 times

A. Spruce

Re: Fixing a drywall patching mistake

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:23 am

Yep, more mud, and yes, topping over hot mud for it's working time and sanding ability. Float the entire patch and feather the edges. Use several coats if you have to to get the desired level of finish. Scrape the patch with your blade between coats or lightly sand to remove ridges and blobs before the next coat. Once filled to your liking, finish sand, prime, paint, admire your work.
I'm CDO, it's the same thing as OCD, but in alphabetical order like it should be! I've also got a touch of AD/OS, Attention Deficit . . . Oh, Shiny!

Shannon

Re: Fixing a drywall patching mistake

Post by Shannon » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:30 pm

Ya I would use topping mud as well. Hot mud for a inexperienced person on a larger patch like this can usually be more fight then it is worth. Will you be able to finish it all today using topping mud as apposed to hot mud....no but you will get a better job when you have more time to work with it.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon