Raising/Lowering Suspended Acoustical Tile Grid

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
csw826

Raising/Lowering Suspended Acoustical Tile Grid

Post by csw826 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:10 pm

I have a space with 3 different heights from floor to bottom of ceiling tile grid. We are removing walls to open up the space. I want to know how difficult is would be to either raise the other two heights to tallest height or the other height to the lowest.

A. Spruce

Re: Raising/Lowering Suspended Acoustical Tile Grid

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:00 pm

Working with grid isn't all that difficult, but you will need a laser level or, establish a level line around the room and pull several strings across to set your main rails and perimeter track level and flat.

The bad news is that you will likely be redoing most, if not all, of the track system because I am certain that whomever installed it, installed it per room, so none of the three areas are going to line up with each other.

It will be easier to raise the track systems than to lower them because of the hanger wires supporting the center of the track.

I would pull the track in the two lower rooms and remove the 3rd room track along the walls that will be removed or modified. Once the structural modifications are done, then you can determine if the layout of the 3rd room will work well with the rest of the space or if the 3rd room will have to be reworked as well. To be clear, the perimeter track isn't a big deal, it will be at the same height in all areas, it is the main cross tracks that not only have to line up from room to room, but leave appealing sized cuts along walls as the ceiling transitions from room to room.

If there will still be wall separations between rooms, then none of this matters, raise the track to a uniform height and have at it. You'll still want to try to have a bit of symmetry from room to room, but it is far less critical than if all the ceilings are interconnected.
I'm CDO, it's the same thing as OCD, but in alphabetical order like it should be! I've also got a touch of AD/OS, Attention Deficit . . . Oh, Shiny!

csw826

Post by csw826 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:44 pm

Thank you so much for your quick response! I will see what it looks like when the walls are down. Thanks :D

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:34 pm

If these were individual rooms there is literally zero chance any of the grid lines will match up . The reason is that when you grid a room you set them up so you get the boarder size you want in that room and it is not to small , you never think about setting it up to match to the other rooms that can not be seen.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon