Kitchen Counter Receptacle per Circuit

Ask your electrical related questions here
Post Reply
MindBender
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:59 pm
Location: Vancouver Island, Canada

Kitchen Counter Receptacle per Circuit

Post by MindBender » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:36 pm

I may have under estimated the circuits I need in the kitchen reno - I thought I could use 2 circuits with as many receptacles as I need along back splash behind counters. It looks like in Canada we are limited to 2 receptacles per 20 amp circuit. Seems overkill for areas of the kitchen you will rarely use.

Is this right? This is a reno but I guess I have no choice but to pull another 20 amp run as I have 6 receptacles at 3' to any point on counter and I only have 2 circuits right now.


DanM
Posts: 129
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:39 am

Re: Kitchen Counter Receptacle per Circuit

Post by DanM » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:54 pm

Ya that was the case for me when I did my kitchen recently. 2 receptacles per circuit. I guess it's so some dummy doesn't plug 17 toasters in and turn them all on at the same time.

MindBender
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:59 pm
Location: Vancouver Island, Canada

Re: Kitchen Counter Receptacle per Circuit

Post by MindBender » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:56 pm

DanM wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:54 pm
Ya that was the case for me when I did my kitchen recently. 2 receptacles per circuit. I guess it's so some dummy doesn't plug 17 toasters in and turn them all on at the same time.
That is quite a difference between CEC and NEC! Thanks for confirmation... just when I thought I was done!

User avatar
emtnut
Posts: 880
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:21 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Kitchen Counter Receptacle per Circuit

Post by emtnut » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:43 pm

DanM wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:54 pm
Ya that was the case for me when I did my kitchen recently. 2 receptacles per circuit. I guess it's so some dummy doesn't plug 17 toasters in and turn them all on at the same time.
Harsh words Dan :( It was 12 toasters and 2 kettles ... but I was hung-over and really hungry :roll:

Please leave the past in the past ! :mrgreen: :lol:


Question already answered, but yep ... for kitchen counter, only 2 recepts per circuit.
Seems like overkill, but you really don't know where the occupants will plug in the toaster/kettle/keurig/ and possibly countertop microwave. All high draw appliances.
~~ This space for rent ... apply within :mrgreen: ~~

MindBender
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:59 pm
Location: Vancouver Island, Canada

Re: Kitchen Counter Receptacle per Circuit

Post by MindBender » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:32 pm

LOL - given the original wiring had everything off 1 circuit including bathroom and 1 bedroom without too much trouble, the NEC seems to have it right - 2 circuits minimum with option for more. CEC must be corrupted by corporations and goes for over kill. Always thought code was about minimum for safety.

Maybe there are more kitchen grow ups in Canada!

DanM
Posts: 129
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:39 am

Re: Kitchen Counter Receptacle per Circuit

Post by DanM » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:59 am

emtnut wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:43 pm
DanM wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:54 pm
Ya that was the case for me when I did my kitchen recently. 2 receptacles per circuit. I guess it's so some dummy doesn't plug 17 toasters in and turn them all on at the same time.
Harsh words Dan :( It was 12 toasters and 2 kettles ... but I was hung-over and really hungry :roll:

Please leave the past in the past ! :mrgreen: :lol:


Question already answered, but yep ... for kitchen counter, only 2 recepts per circuit.
Seems like overkill, but you really don't know where the occupants will plug in the toaster/kettle/keurig/ and possibly countertop microwave. All high draw appliances.
Sorry, but you know it has to be like that. It's written into my contract as a big city buffoon to harass bumpkins from the 'Prior. If I don't I'll get kicked out of the buffoon guild and lose my license to perform wanton buffoonery and any buffoon related activities.

User avatar
Aaron
Posts: 1778
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:03 pm
Location: St. Paul, MN

Re: Kitchen Counter Receptacle per Circuit

Post by Aaron » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:41 am

MindBender wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:32 pm
LOL - given the original wiring had everything off 1 circuit including bathroom and 1 bedroom without too much trouble, the NEC seems to have it right - 2 circuits minimum with option for more. CEC must be corrupted by corporations and goes for over kill. Always thought code was about minimum for safety.

Maybe there are more kitchen grow ups in Canada!
The NEC is the same with kitchens... you need at least two 20A circuits for counter-top receptacles in kitchens. The CEC and NEC are *very* similar, the differences are extremely minor.

MindBender
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:59 pm
Location: Vancouver Island, Canada

Re: Kitchen Counter Receptacle per Circuit

Post by MindBender » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:05 pm

Aaron wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:41 am
MindBender wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:32 pm
LOL - given the original wiring had everything off 1 circuit including bathroom and 1 bedroom without too much trouble, the NEC seems to have it right - 2 circuits minimum with option for more. CEC must be corrupted by corporations and goes for over kill. Always thought code was about minimum for safety.

Maybe there are more kitchen grow ups in Canada!
The NEC is the same with kitchens... you need at least two 20A circuits for counter-top receptacles in kitchens. The CEC and NEC are *very* similar, the differences are extremely minor.
NEC does not limit 2 receptacles per circuit which seems more sensible then CEC, but I'm not arguing, it was easy enough to run extra circuit for my case with full access to studs. Extra extra piece of mind!

User avatar
Aaron
Posts: 1778
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:03 pm
Location: St. Paul, MN

Re: Kitchen Counter Receptacle per Circuit

Post by Aaron » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:59 pm

In the NEC I believe you need at least two 20A circuits, but you can connect as many receptacles as you want on them. CEC limits to just one or two receptacles per 20A countertop circuit.

While there's a minimum of two 20A circuits, there's no maximum... so in compliance with CEC, if just four countertop receptacles aren't enough, just run another 20A circuit.

User avatar
emtnut
Posts: 880
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:21 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Kitchen Counter Receptacle per Circuit

Post by emtnut » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:46 pm

MindBender wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:36 pm
I may have under estimated the circuits I need in the kitchen reno - I thought I could use 2 circuits with as many receptacles as I need along back splash behind counters. It looks like in Canada we are limited to 2 receptacles per 20 amp circuit. Seems overkill for areas of the kitchen you will rarely use.

Is this right? This is a reno but I guess I have no choice but to pull another 20 amp run as I have 6 receptacles at 3' to any point on counter and I only have 2 circuits right now.
I'm curious why you put in 6 receptacles ... Technically that would cover about 36 feet of counter space !
~~ This space for rent ... apply within :mrgreen: ~~

Post Reply