Sump pump

Discuss plumbing related issues here - pex, drains, etc.
Thejaxx

Sump pump

Post by Thejaxx » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:15 am

House used to be on septic until our area was annexed into the city. Now that we are on sewer, the old leech field may be giving me issues. Basement sits below the sewer line, as most of the plumbing was upstairs anyways. The only exception being the washer in the basement, which forces water up about 2 feet to the drain. Otherwise the basement floor would of had to be demo’d.

The old clay pipes in the basement drains have a habit of back feeding water when it rains a lot (at bottom of a residential street, so all water percolates my way). There’s been a few times where I’ve opened the basement door to a few inches of water down there.

Am I mistaken to think that a sump would help this? I was thinking of breaking up some of the cement and installing one and having it pumped to the sewer line.

Or is there a better method/idea?

Shannon

Re: Sump pump

Post by Shannon » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:45 am

So these clap pipes are weeping pipe or sewer pipes?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

Thejaxx

Post by Thejaxx » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:26 pm

From the clay pipes under the basement floor. I had to seal the two drains in the floor due to all the rain we’ve had or it just comes up out of the drains.

The floor drains are not attached to the sewer, it would be $1000’s to do that.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:29 pm

I would dig and install a sump pit at the end of those pipes and install a sump pump. Depending on the rules in your location the pump could then pump it down the sewer or you may have to pump it just outside to the yard.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon