How to deafen sump pump...

Discuss plumbing related issues here - pex, drains, etc.
Jmaclicious

How to deafen sump pump...

Post by Jmaclicious » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:45 pm

I finished the plumbing of my sump pump with ABS pipe, and currently in order to hold the pipe up and prevent sag I used metal strapping for duct work and screwed those into the joists, however when the sump pump kicks on it causes a LOT of vibration and noise throughout the house and I can hear it kick on constantly and push water outside, what are some tips to deafen this noise? Eventually I will have the joists downstairs filled with safe and sound.

A. Spruce

Re: How to deafen sump pump...

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:50 pm

Get yourself some 1/8" packing foam sheet, pipe wrap used to insulate pipes that penetrate concrete, or similar and wrap the pipe under the straps.

Additionally, install a section of rubber hose between the pump and discharge tube, preferably after the lift section of discharge, just so you don't ever have water sitting in the rubber tubing. It's not that water will cause a problem, it is that there is a big difference between solid and glued pipe and slip fit hose connections.
If you've found our videos, forum, and answers helpful, consider making a small donation to help us keep the lights on and the help flowing. 8-)

Jmaclicious

Post by Jmaclicious » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:08 pm

A. Spruce wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:50 pm
Get yourself some 1/8" packing foam sheet, pipe wrap used to insulate pipes that penetrate concrete, or similar and wrap the pipe under the straps.

Additionally, install a section of rubber hose between the pump and discharge tube, preferably after the lift section of discharge, just so you don't ever have water sitting in the rubber tubing. It's not that water will cause a problem, it is that there is a big difference between solid and glued pipe and slip fit hose connections.
Thanks A. Spruce, will look into it, I also noticed that the lid wasn't able to be bolted down t all due to some of the threads being damaged as well as one bolt piece actually ripping off.. not to sure how I can go about fixing this or another solution to keep the lid on nice and tight so I can seal it up. As the part where the bolt actually goes into is part of the sump pit itself.
Attachments
IMG_1286.jpg
IMG_1286.jpg (102.97 KiB) Viewed 31 times
IMG_1284.jpg
IMG_1284.jpg (67.46 KiB) Viewed 31 times

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:12 pm

Looks like a threaded metal insert encased in plastic and the plastic has broken? You should be able to glue the plastic back together with something like Shoe Goo or other strong and stiff adhesive. The bad threads can be cleaned up with a tap and die and lubricated with some WD-40 or grease to keep them from rusting and seizing again.
If you've found our videos, forum, and answers helpful, consider making a small donation to help us keep the lights on and the help flowing. 8-)

Jmaclicious

Post by Jmaclicious » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:39 pm

A. Spruce wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:12 pm
Looks like a threaded metal insert encased in plastic and the plastic has broken? You should be able to glue the plastic back together with something like Shoe Goo or other strong and stiff adhesive. The bad threads can be cleaned up with a tap and die and lubricated with some WD-40 or grease to keep them from rusting and seizing again.

I got 4 out of the 6 bolts on, however theres a bit of play in the lid/washers bc i guess they didnt seat all the way tight, but i did go ahead and caulk the rim and what not... do you think this would be sufficient ?

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:39 pm

I don't think that caulk is the best choice, since the lid is supposed to be removable for service and such. As for the screws, remove the lid, lube the screws with WD40 and run them in by hand, tighten them into the bind and back out, tighten and back out, do this with lots of lube to help break through the corrosion and get the screws in deeper. If the threads have been damaged on the screws, find replacements before doing this procedure.

Once you get the screws working better, you can run them in/out with a drill a few times to fully clean and lube the threads. Also, once you've got them working the way you want, clean the threads with a few more shots of lube and compressed air, if the holes are captive, to blow the debris and rust out.