Light Wiring

Ask your electrical related questions here
Dia

Light Wiring

Post by Dia » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:29 am

Hey, another question for you:

I just changed a light fixture and noticed that it was connected by creating a tight loop in the wires to join them and then covered in electrical tape. Is/was this an acceptable thing in Ontario?

Aaron

Re: Light Wiring

Post by Aaron » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:54 am

No, that is not an acceptable splice. I would cut off that splice, re-strip the wires, twist them together tightly and then cap it with a wirenut (marette).

Use the smallest ones that work for the size you’re splicing. For light fixtures I usually use the orange ones.

If one wire is stranded, as they often are on fixtures, you can just wrap it around a 1/4 inch of straight, exposed solid copper wire. Then twist the nut on.

Dia

Post by Dia » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:06 am

I think they had an electrician in who effed up almost everything he/she touched, because from the looks of some of this stuff, the place should have burnt to a crisp by now.

That's almost exactly what I did, except I connected the grounding wire to the box, and there's one yellow cone for all the neutral wires.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:08 pm

As long as the wires were tightly twisted and wrapped with a couple ply's of electrical tape, then it electrically it actually was a good splice. Most vinyl electrical tape is lousy, though, because it has a tendency to become undone, revealing the bare splice, which is dangerous. A good tight wirenut on a splice should never come undone.

I've found splices in my old house with knob-and-tube wiring that were tape-wrapped. But they used a type of cloth tape back then and it really held up very well over the decades. If I wasn't reconfiguring the circuits, I might have left it alone.

Dia

Post by Dia » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:20 pm

Really?

I find it being an acceptable way to do things crazy because the tape was so crusty and flimsy that it fell off pretty easily. Kinda scary, thanks for all the info though!

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:27 pm

I think you're house was owned by a very unskilled handyman :o

Glad you replaced with wirenuts .... I guess the next job is to check ALL the device boxes in the house :cry:
~~ This space for rent ... apply within :mrgreen: ~~

Dia

Post by Dia » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:42 pm

emtnut wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:27 pm

Glad you replaced with wirenuts .... I guess the next job is to check ALL the device boxes in the house :cry:
That is next on the list! What are you doin' later? :)
twisted stub.jpg
twisted stub.jpg (28.24 KiB) Viewed 61 times
This was the piece I snipped off, does it look tight enough to have been done professionally?

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:04 am

emtnut wrote:
That would be unskilled UNhandyman! :lol:
Dia wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:42 pm
This was the piece I snipped off, does it look tight enough to have been done professionally?
Yeowza!!! :shock: That is not an approved connection, nor was it ever! :roll: As much as the job will suck to do, Nutzy is right, every box in the house should be checked and corrected. While you're at it, mapping the electrical system to make sure that circuit loads are within reason wouldn't be a bad idea either.
If you've found our videos, forum, and answers helpful, consider making a small donation to help us keep the lights on and the help flowing. 8-)

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:39 am

Dia wrote:
It will work, yes, but it’s not professional nor the right way to do it. You don’t ever curl wires with splices, you twist them and use wirenuts/marettes.

Just as easy to do it the right way as it was the way you found it!

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:15 am

Dia wrote:
emtnut wrote:

That is next on the list! What are you doin' later? :)

twisted stub.jpg

Well, mostly my daughters bathroom/house renos ... but I'll keep an eye here for the next post of the wonderful 'handywork' you show us :mrgreen:
~~ This space for rent ... apply within :mrgreen: ~~