Scraping painted popcorn ceiling

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
scs2rescue

Scraping painted popcorn ceiling

Post by scs2rescue » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:07 pm

Does anyone have suggestions for scraping a painted popcorn ceiling. I know water works for unpainted but not sure what to do with this painted surface.

Thanks,

Alan

Clarence

Re: Scraping painted popcorn ceiling

Post by Clarence » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:41 pm

Check on this tool ProTool calls it a scraper Item # AP-14 page # 99
In the plaster it is called a Angle Plane Kraft Tool Co. Item # PL300 page # 114
It works may save you some labor time.

A. Spruce

Re: Scraping painted popcorn ceiling

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:44 pm

I've always used a plain ol' floor scraper.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000PAQEIC/

I sharpen the edge with a grinder or belt sander so that it cuts through the paint and texture better. Knock the top off the painted texture, then use a spray bottle or garden sprayer to apply water, let it soak in and loosen the texture, then scrape some more. Add more water as necessary.

Because it's been painted, you are not going to remove as much of the texture as you would if it were raw, but you can still get rid of the majority of it. Once removed you then float out, aka skim coat, the ceiling with topping mud until you smooth out the ceiling to your liking. From there you either leave it smooth or apply the texture of your choice.
If you've found our videos, forum, and answers helpful, consider making a small donation to help us keep the lights on and the help flowing. 8-)