Do I need a header on non-load bearing wall?

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
mrtomcat

Do I need a header on non-load bearing wall?

Post by mrtomcat » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:03 am

I am building a wall between a hallway and a room, the hallway has a joist from the ceiling that lowers the ceiling quite a bit for about 6" 's in width (kind of like an arch), I want to use that as the anchor point for the top frame plate and then install a door in the center of the new frame. The challenge is that this new wall will be only 83"'s because if the existing joist and with a rough opening of 82" for a door there is no way to put a header on top of the door without cutting the height of the door (which I am ok with doing if needed, but prefer not to). So my question is, since there is no load from the top ceiling do I actually need a header for the door since I am just adding a wall to an existing room structure? note: I need to add that the door will be heavy since it's part of a sound isolation for a recording studio. I do not know if a header helps with the walls structural integrity or if its purpose is to only support ceiling weight?

thanks

Thomas

A. Spruce

Re: Do I need a header on non-load bearing wall?

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:47 am

So, you have a wide, arched opening that you want to put a smaller door into. The opening itself should already be framed to support whatever is above it, so you'll simply be narrowing the width of the opening to put in a door which is no big deal and does not require the installation of a header. If you are altering the structure of the wall, then it may be necessary, but that is not what it sounds like you're doing.
If you've found our videos, forum, and answers helpful, consider making a small donation to help us keep the lights on and the help flowing. 8-)

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:48 am

Also, pics would help explain what you're up to. 8-)
If you've found our videos, forum, and answers helpful, consider making a small donation to help us keep the lights on and the help flowing. 8-)

mrtomcat

Post by mrtomcat » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:20 pm

Here's a picture.

I am building a frame to create a new wall just underneath this entry and a heavy door to get in there

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:02 pm

If you are filling in that existing opening you will be fine because if a header was needed it should already be there under the drywall.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

mrtomcat

Post by mrtomcat » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:50 am

thank you!