2x4 Wall Mounting 4 Gang and 2 Gang Box

Ask your electrical related questions here
MindBender

2x4 Wall Mounting 4 Gang and 2 Gang Box

Post by MindBender » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:04 pm

I have a wall next to a staircase and it is the only location where I can mount a 4 Gang box on stair side and a 2 Gang box on other side (kitchen).

I have to install it in the last bay of the wall as it is the only place where you could reach it from the top of the stairs and cabinets do not interfere with it on kitchen side.

The wall ends with L style stud layout - trying to figure out how I can mount gang box back to back in such a tight wall setup.

Only thing I could come up with is to buy a 4 Gang metal box and mount it to end stud on the L and put the regular 2 Gang in same bay but other side.

Any other tricks to getting boxes in back to back in tight situation?

Aaron

Re: 2x4 Wall Mounting 4 Gang and 2 Gang Box

Post by Aaron » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:31 pm

Yes, you need a 4-gang wide 1.625" deep electrical box (with 4-gang mudring), and a 2-gang 1.25" box (4" square box with 2-gang mudring). The depth of the boxes add up to 2.875", then you will need a short nipple (probably a close nipple) to link the two boxes together back to back so that the total depth is about 3.5" which is the actual depth of the 2x4 nominal stud. Line them up so there is a 1/2" knock-out hole in the rear of each box they can share.

4-gang length electrical boxes (the type that have screws for corresponding 4-gang mudrings) are not easy to find, unfortunately, because it's just not a common item in residential construction. At least here in the US. The least expensive place I've seen online to order unusual steel boxes is at http://garvinindustries.com, but electrical supply houses should carry them also.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:51 pm

Besides the 1/2" diameter nipple, you will need four lock washers, one for both sides of each box. You screw on the first lock washer far enough on both sides of the nipple so that when you slide each box's 1/2" knockout hole through, the boxes will stop at the washer of each side. Measure the depth and make adjustments until you get 3.5" from the edge of one box to the edge of the other. When you've done that, then you can "lock" that position with lock washers on the inside of each box.

Lastly, you need two 1/2" diameter nylon bushings, to screw onto the remaining threads of the nipple within each box. This protects wires from chafing on the threads.

MindBender

Post by MindBender » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:56 am

Thanks Aaron - I ended up using a shallow 4 gang metal box screwed to the L studs after notching it slightly. This left just enough room to put in a regular plastic 2 gang on opposite stud. People going into kitchen will just have to stretch a few more inches.

Good enough compromise hopefully!

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:06 am

Yeah sometimes it’s just more sensible to do what you did. As they say, don’t let perfection be the enemy of good.

MindBender

Post by MindBender » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:23 pm

Aaron wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:06 am
Yeah sometimes it’s just more sensible to do what you did. As they say, don’t let perfection be the enemy of good.
Good quote - will remember that one.