Waterproofing dimpled membrane?

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
Love2Learn

Waterproofing dimpled membrane?

Post by Love2Learn » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:19 am

Hello,

Love the videos!

Do I require a vapour barrier with this membrane installed as part of basement waterproofing? Air barrier?

Can you shoot a video on this subject of waterproofing? :D

Thanks

Shannon

Re: Waterproofing dimpled membrane?

Post by Shannon » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:59 pm

Sorry can't do a video but can try to answer your question.
I'm just not 100% clear on your question. So are you saying you have added a dimpled waterproofing material to the exterior of your basement walls and do not know if you now could skip the use of interior air/vapour barrier? If that is your question then NO is the answer.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

Love2Learn

Post by Love2Learn » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:03 pm

Actually, there will be interior waterproofing...trench, big "O", dimpled membrane on the concrete.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:32 pm

Ok so interior water proofing/water redirection and a french drain by the sounds of it on the interior side of the concrete wall.
Check with your local building codes but most places require air/vapour barriers . If your region does require it then adding that dimple membrane does nothing that would allow you to eliminate it anyways.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

Love2Learn

Post by Love2Learn » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:46 am

Thanks Shannon,

My basement is a walkout...2 sides above grade and 2 below. Finished by a previous owner.
I had a plumber install a new jet pump for my well water but was left with a leak which leaked into the carpeted basement. :cry:
I suspected mould and so decided to do a check. Cut out 2 feet around perimeter of drywall and this is what I found as I removed it.
Drywall, plastic (not sealed), fibreglass bat insulation and 2X2 against the concrete.
I removed all of it as some of the boards were rotted and some of the fibreglass and plastic were wet. I then tore out the carpet and under padding along with mould re-mediation.
As it is a block foundation from the 60's and found a trickle of water in one spot decided to have go ahead with interior waterproofing.

From you videos you show that side splits do not have the vapour and moisture barriers but just framed and insulated.

How should I go about dealing with the above grade walls? On the below grade walls with dimpled membrane should I follow the same procedure in your videos?

Appreciate your responses!

Love2Learn

Post by Love2Learn » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:07 pm

Just realized my orignal question asked about "Vapour" barrier...I meant "Moisture" barrier. :? :oops: Realized this after re-watching your video. :)

On another note: Have you watched this video? What is your opinion? :?:
https://youtu.be/kwn0Vjw_ji0

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:11 pm

Because you have the dimple product on the interior already you should not need a moisture barrier.
I have seen that video before but unless your local building inspectors are ok with the universities ideas and allow it you will not get a permit approved.

Which video are you referring to of mine?

Love2Learn

Post by Love2Learn » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:55 pm

Thanks that helps...I watched the video "Moisture Barrier Installation". Is it because it is a regular wall above the cement that the moisture barrier not required in a bi-level?

What about above grade foundation walls. How do you insulate / air barrier these?

So refreshing to be able to talk to someone you trust and respect!

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:08 pm

You are correct a moisture barrier is not needed on a wall that is above the exterior grade.The reason is that the moisture barrier is only there to help control moisture that may pass through a foundation that is below grade.
In your case you have a walk out basement so those wood walls are simply insulated as usual and then a air/vapour barrier is installed and well sealed before installing the drywall.
We have a lot of skilled DIYers and trades people here to help with almost any project.

Love2Learn

Post by Love2Learn » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:33 pm

Apologies for not being clear...
The 2 above grade exterior walls are also cinder block. The foundation is dug into a hill.

Will try to post a picture.

Love2Learn

Post by Love2Learn » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:40 pm

Picture is submitted. 2 side of cinder block foundation are above grade and 2 below.

How to insulate the 2 above?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:39 am

Oh, ok no problem you still frame those walls just like a normal basement ,I would leave maybe 1/2" to 1" between the wood wall and the block. Install insulation After the electrical is all ran and then install the air/vapour barrier and seal it well.

Love2Learn

Post by Love2Learn » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:50 am

Found a picture of the dimpled membrane.

So, to recap:
For all block foundation walls. (Above and below grade)
1) Dimpled membrane
2) Offset framing from block foundation 1/2" to 1"
3) Run electrical
4) Insulate
5) Air/Vapour barrier sealed

Would it be ok to use Roxul ComfortBoard on the outside of the above grade walls?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Roxul-Comfo ... /206789748
Cheers!
Attachments
INTERIOR_WRAP_5.jpg
INTERIOR_WRAP_5.jpg (46.21 KiB) Viewed 591 times

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:25 pm

Roxul Comfortboard on the outside of the above grade walls? No that would not work. If you want to add insulation on the outside (exterior) of a building you need to use rigid foam. Comfort batt could be used between the block basement walls and the new framed interior walls that you will be adding and it could be used like that for the entire basement .You can also use Roxul batt insulation in the wall stud cavities as well.

Love2Learn

Post by Love2Learn » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:42 am

Hmmm, I thought this product was made for exterior use?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:44 pm

How would you attach any kind of exterior finish to it? I am very sure it would be very limited in its uses on the exterior of the home.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:52 pm

Well i stand corrected it can be used on the exterior . I However am skeptical that this is very user friendly? I have only watched this one video (link below) but looks like a nightmare to install and properly cover . I can see this working under stucco but really double it works well with any siding products.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P165RxBHBtU

arrowguy

Post by arrowguy » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:02 pm

That last video seems interesting. If anyone does attempt this please let us all know how it goes. Like Shannon said, it doesn't seem like the best way to do it. But I'd be happy to be wrong.
Window & Awnings Guy
Arrow Window

Love2Learn

Post by Love2Learn » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:42 pm

Wanna try it on my place? :ugeek: :D

Esssentially, this is the concept being described in the first video.

Love2Learn

Post by Love2Learn » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:50 am

What is the general opinion on Exterior vs Interior water management?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:55 am

When ever possible basement water should be controlled from the exterior first but regardless interior moisture barriers are still needed as well.

Love2Learn

Post by Love2Learn » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:09 am

Thanks Shannon

I keep going back and forth on having the Waterproofing done from exterior vs interior.
In my situation with an old block foundation and no drain in basement and several interior water events it seemed like the logical thing to do.

Thoughts?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:11 pm

Love2Learn wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:09 am
Thanks Shannon

I keep going back and forth on having the Waterproofing done from exterior vs interior.
In my situation with an old block foundation and no drain in basement and several interior water events it seemed like the logical thing to do.

Thoughts?
Much more costly but really excavating the perimeter and installing a proper waterproofing membrane weeping tile and sump pit will pay off in the future if you have already been having issues. Especially on a block foundation.

Love2Learn

Post by Love2Learn » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:01 am

Thanks Shannon!

Totally agree and want to do it right. I had several assessments/quotes and in my situation "interior" seems to be the best solution. There is holding tank for sewage buried along the front north side

Sometimes think with the electrical (fuse panel), plumbing (well - jet pump) and basement it might be cheaper to start from fresh with a new build. ;) :lol:

Will let you know the outcome...

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:28 am

Ok that does make sense so then if you do a interior system that should involve a french drain as well especially if you have had trouble in the past.

Love2Learn

Post by Love2Learn » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:08 am

This guy has some informative and "entertaining" videos and waterproofing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlSCkx0h7tE

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:20 pm

Very interesting dude. Seems to know what he is talking about.

Love2Learn

Post by Love2Learn » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:38 am

Shannon wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:20 pm
Very interesting dude. Seems to know what he is talking about.
Interesting is 1 word lol but he does have some great videos on the whole subject.

Sure you don't want to do a video? ;) :)

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:16 pm

Yup I’m pretty sure😀

Love2Learn

Post by Love2Learn » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:19 pm

Hello,

I am just getting the basement ready for internal waterproofing, a membrane will be attached to the block walls

Most of the drywall/insulation/vapour barrier/studs have been removed except for where there are outlets.
What should I do with existing electrical outlets? I think they are on the same circuit but so are the lights.
Should I shut of the power to the room, remove the outlets and cap the wires?

Any suggestions?

Thanks