Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring - Uneven floors

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
AngelaRandall

Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring - Uneven floors

Post by AngelaRandall » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:14 pm

We are hoping to replace our carpet with some LVP in our home. There are a couple of places where the floors "slope" a little. Will this be an issue during installation?

A. Spruce

Re: Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring - Uneven floors

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:29 pm

You could hang LVP on the wall if you wanted to, angle of the surface isn't going to affect anything. Where you run into problems is when the floor has lumps and valleys or other irregularities that won't fully support the LVP. Irregularities such as these can be floated out with floor leveling compound.

A slope to the floor isn't going to necessarily show up or be a problem, unless there is a ridge between where it is reasonably flat and then all of a sudden slope dives away, that ridge is going to be noticeable, but it won't likely cause any issues with the floor itself, it just won't look that great. In this scenario, it would be advisable to address the cause of the slope and either repair the condition or hide it through the use of floor leveling compound or self leveling concrete, depending on how bad and how large the area is.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:59 pm

Most LVP manufactures have specs on the max differences in floor flatness but a slope really does not matter.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

AngelaRandall

Post by AngelaRandall » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:58 pm

In our living room, there are a couple of areas that are sloping. I'm not sure how level the rest of the floor is as there is carpet in the room right now. I will know more about the subfloor once we pull the carpet. Since we have a tenant in the home right now, it's hard to prepare but we want to order the product and have it ready to install quickly. The slope I was referring to is an imperfection in the flooring. I can tell, through the carpet, that it slopes towards the wall... about a 1/2" dip slope that starts about 9" from the wall. Another area has the same gradual slope but over about 4' of space. I only noticed it because we had a storage tower that is about 6' tall and you could tell that it leaned to one side. I'm nervous to buy the LVP and have issues with it but I really like the look of it over glue down vinyl.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:49 am

The slope that is 1/2" in a 9" distance against the wall could be fixed using self leveling floor patch. This should not be installed over partial board sub floor so you may need to remove that if there is some under the carpet. The slope over 4' could be fixed the same way if you want but there should be no problem with the LVP if you do not.
The key thing here is the floor does not need to be actually level but it needs to be relatively flat.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon