Building porch and pouring footing under?!?

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
Twan37

Building porch and pouring footing under?!?

Post by Twan37 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:19 pm

Hi,

I was a rural kid and did my share of building stuff. I'm a city dweller now and we hired a company to build a three story back porch and deck area from a reputable contractor with positive ratings on several sites.

I'm a little nervous (and very curious), because they've dug out holes for the footings, placed a stack of 3 short 2x12s over the holes and are building on top of it. That's not how we would have done it in Missouri, but that might not be a good things. :)

I'm assuming it's so they don't have to wait on the inspector to come sign off on the depth, but is that standard practice? Any pros have a sense of how they are going to pour the footings underneath the mostly finished structure? What about that 4.5 inches of 2x12s between the ground level and the bottom of the post?

Thanks,

Anthony

Shannon

Re: Building porch and pouring footing under?!?

Post by Shannon » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:24 pm

Well I would make the same assumption that you did , they are trying to keep the project going while they wait for some paperwork/inspection. I do not know exactly how they plan to finish this footing for sure but I have a couple ideas on how it could be done. The main thing is that concrete should cure a bit before it is loaded with weight especially point loads like posts and columns so when they do pour this footing I would hope they wait a couple weeks before placing all this load of the partially constructed structure on that new crete. Typically if you poured the footings and started building after about a week the concrete wood be curing as the weight gets added. The first week or so may not have much weight so that works pretty good depending on the situation.
It is your addition and your money so do not be afraid to ask the contractor what their plan is to be sure it sounds ok.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:23 pm

yeah, I too suspect that they're trying to proceed before plans, approval, inspections, or something along those lines. Have you talked to your contractor about why they're going about the project in the manner that they are?

I am absolutely certain that the municipality will want plans and permits on this structure, you do have those, correct? Generally, it is frowned upon to proceed with work before inspection and sign off of the needed prestages first. In this case, the footings would be dug and reinforcement metals installed and inspected, then the footings would be poured, a week later construction of the structure would commence. There may or may not be a "framing" inspection before completion of the deck, just depends on what your municipality wants to see, which you can ask your inspector about when they're on site.

If your contractor does not have plans and permits for this project, then I'd have serious concerns overall. Mind you, I am NOT a stickler for such things, however, in this case, with a three story deck system, you're looking at personal and public safety. Your insurance provider will want assurances in the way of proof of permits and inspections that the structure is done properly. Without them, you may not be able to get insurance, or worse, pay exorbitant amounts for it and still not have any real coverage.

Personally, I think your first conversation needs to be with your contractor, the next conversation should be with the inspector and or municipality.
If you've found our videos, forum, and answers helpful, consider making a small donation to help us keep the lights on and the help flowing. 8-)

Twan37

Post by Twan37 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:06 am

Thanks for the responses! I'll chat with them today.