Dishwasher hose - How tight to wrench it down?

Discuss plumbing related issues here - pex, drains, etc.
RCGA

Dishwasher hose - How tight to wrench it down?

Post by RCGA » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:45 pm

I had a dishwasher hose give way because the stock clip they used wasn't on tight enough. It leaked it bit, but luckily someone was home to turn the dishwasher off before it turned into a disaster.

I've replaced the clip with a type that you can manually clamp down.

But I have no idea how tight to clamp.

I still can give this a few more turns. But I'm worried about splitting the hose or male adaptor attached to the dishwasher.
Attachments
IMG_4565.JPG
IMG_4565.JPG (194.29 KiB) Viewed 39 times

Shannon

Re: Dishwasher hose - How tight to wrench it down?

Post by Shannon » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:30 pm

That is really a tough thing to try and explain, I just know what is tight and what is not because I do that kinda thing all the time. You are correct you do not want it to tight so that it damages anything else either. If the dishwasher used a metal fitting then it can be tightened up pretty good without fear of squashing it but if it is plastic you need to be careful. As for the hose you really can not damage it. Just by looking at the picture I would say it is good and tight.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:17 pm

A general rule of thumb with all things plumbing, tighten snug, then tighten more as needed to stop any leaks.

From the looks of the image, you've deformed the hose quite a bit, which should be way more than tight enough. You have to be careful with deformation because this can actually cause leaks.
If you've found our videos, forum, and answers helpful, consider making a small donation to help us keep the lights on and the help flowing. 8-)

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:42 pm

I think you'll be good.

RCGA

Post by RCGA » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:12 am

Okay I removed the clamp and wrapped a layer of electrical tape around the house, just as a protective layer from the stainless clamp.

When I installed in a second time, I hand tightened the nut, then gave it one more spin. Hopefully it's okay

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:17 pm

RCGA wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:12 am
Okay I removed the clamp and wrapped a layer of electrical tape around the house, just as a protective layer from the stainless clamp.
Good idea.
RCGA wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:12 am
When I installed in a second time, I hand tightened the nut, then gave it one more spin. Hopefully it's okay
You'll have the instinct of it being tight enough.