Canadian Electrical Code.. can electrical panels be on the backside wall of the stairs?

Ask your electrical related questions here
Jmaclicious

Canadian Electrical Code.. can electrical panels be on the backside wall of the stairs?

Post by Jmaclicious » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:41 pm

Trying to get an idea as to my options for a new electrical panel location, currently its on the landing part of the back wall in my utility room, is it allowed to be on the stair part of the wall (not in the stair case itself, but behind the wall in my utility room), or would it best for it to be on the exterior wall? This electrical guy I had come check it out said he wouldn't think the inspectors would like it on the stair wall. Just wanted to see what my options were for laying it out.
Attachments
image1.png
image1.png (764.32 KiB) Viewed 42 times

emtnut

Re: Canadian Electrical Code.. can electrical panels be on the backside wall of the stairs?

Post by emtnut » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:05 am

Your electrical guy has a valid point.
Both the Inspector, and hydro, always want to keep the incoming service conductors (line from outside) to a minimum inside the house.

5 feet is generally the maximum. If you need more than that (and it seems you do here), then you would need permission from the Inspector beforehand.

See attached pic, I think I have it the right side up ??
Attachments
image1.png
image1.png (835.97 KiB) Viewed 38 times
~~ This space for rent ... apply within :mrgreen: ~~

Jmaclicious

Re: Canadian Electrical Code.. can electrical panels be on the backside wall of the stairs?

Post by Jmaclicious » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:53 am

emtnut wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:05 am
Both the Inspector, and hydro, always want to keep the incoming service conductors (line from outside) to a minimum inside the house.

5 feet is generally the maximum. If you need more than that (and it seems you do here), then you would need permission from the Inspector beforehand.

Ah durh, makes sense! totally forgot about the service conductor coming in that far lol. :oops:

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:28 am

Jmaclicious wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:53 am
emtnut wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:05 am

Ah durh, makes sense! totally forgot about the service conductor coming in that far lol. :oops:
They do make exceptions, so depending on the reason for moving it, they may OK it.
Generally the rule is 'as close as possible' . Anything further than that needs pre-approval.
~~ This space for rent ... apply within :mrgreen: ~~