Are push-in connectors code in Canada?

Ask your electrical related questions here
RCGA

Are push-in connectors code in Canada?

Post by RCGA » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:19 am

Are these things okay to use vs. wire nuts?

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.asso ... 11478.html

I was trying to find wago lever nuts but I can't find a Canadian source. These from HD were the best I've seen.

The reason why I want to use these is that I have a 1960s vintage home, and the ground wires are wrapped around the grounding screw only, then clipped off. So I don't have much copper to work with to bond the outlets "properly"

Shannon

Re: Are push-in connectors code in Canada?

Post by Shannon » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:52 am

As far as I know those will meet code here in Canada. You actually find them now on many light fixtures right from the manufacture and those fixtures are approved for use in Canada.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:58 am

Yep, they're CSA certified, so you can definitely use them.

Also, if you have another, unused ground bond screw in the box, you can just run a pigtail from that screw to your device.

RCGA

Post by RCGA » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:44 am

Aaron wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:58 am
Yep, they're CSA certified, so you can definitely use them.

Also, if you have another, unused ground bond screw in the box, you can just run a pigtail from that screw to your device.
And bypass the grounds coming into the box?

For example, two 14/2 wires coming into the box. Those grounds are bonded together and wrapped around the metal grounding screw (and then snipped short). The receptacle is currently grounded directly to the other metal grounded screw and not directly touching the incoming grounds at all.

The original grounds are all 16 gauge, I believe. They're certainly a lighter gauge than the hot and neutrals. My fear in trying to bond everything together is that I'll snap the grounds when I twist.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:31 am

RCGA wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:44 am
And bypass the grounds coming into the box?

For example, two 14/2 wires coming into the box. Those grounds are bonded together and wrapped around the metal grounding screw (and then snipped short).
By bonded together, you mean twisted together? Hopefully just ONE of those ground conductors is under the screw head, and that it's wrapped clockwise around it. If so, this is normal. You cannot put more than one conductor under a screw, regardless of the wire gauge.
RCGA wrote:
The receptacle is currently grounded directly to the other metal grounded screw and not directly touching the incoming grounds at all.
Yep, that's perfectly fine. You receptacle is grounded then because the box itself is steel and bonds the two ground screws together.
RCGA wrote:
The original grounds are all 16 gauge, I believe. They're certainly a lighter gauge than the hot and neutrals. My fear in trying to bond everything together is that I'll snap the grounds when I twist.
That's okay, it's typical for grounds to sometimes be a higher gauge (lighter) than the current-carrying conductors. I don't think you need to do anything further--you have a perfectly grounded system there.

If you're still unsure, feel free to post a pic.

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:25 am

I'm not a big fan of ANY push in type connector. It is a listed product, but these work on the same principle as backstabbed receptacles.

The Wago with the 'levers' are a superior product IMO.
You can get them at most supply houses, or on Amazon ca
~~ This space for rent ... apply within :mrgreen: ~~