Closet Doors Installation?

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
JimL

Closet Doors Installation?

Post by JimL » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:49 am

I am interested in tackling a project sectioning out the living room space for a reach-in closet. The height and wide will be around 8ft x 12ft with an existing 3 walls to work with. I see there are a lot of pre-made closet system so that part should be manageable in setting up. The doors will be difficult to install. How hard is it to install doors which it seems like it will be from scratch? Is there any how-to? I am open to individual doors or sliding doors whichever is easier.

A. Spruce

Re: Closet Doors Installation?

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:35 pm

Unless you have the abilities and want something seriously custom doors, purchasing the doors will be the better way to go.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:43 pm

Yes I agree there are many options for sliding ,swinging or bifold closet doors available to purchase.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

JimL

Post by JimL » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:08 pm

Any direction on where I can learn and read about how-to mount doors. Since there is no door frame, I will need to have a starting point to hold the top part of the door. It's a newbie question.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:17 pm

Mounting depends on the type of door system you choose to install. Door height may be an issue, you may have to install a bulkhead or header to carry the top of the door, again, it depends on the type of door you choose and the availability of sizes that fit your needs.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:44 pm

What size are you hoping the closet and closet opening to be? What type of door do you prefer to use? I'm not familiar with the term " reach -in closet" maybe you could explain that more?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

JimL

Post by JimL » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:16 am

The space will be about H 8ft x W 12ftx x D 2ft. I am thinking about 4 light weight 24in slab doors. A reach-in closet means not a walk-in closet. It's a regular closet. Yeah the term is new to me as well.

I have been reading about those IKEA PAX system that people have been using. The costly PAX system plus building a base to level the floor for the PAX since I have uneven floor, custom side panels and top molding to fill the gaps and lastly painting. A closet like this will cost more than I anticipated.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:37 pm

For a 12' opening you will need four 36" doors or three 48" doors. On a standard 2 rail track, 36" doors will allow you a maximum of 6 feet of open door area, which greatly aids in lighting and access.

I actually have two closets very similar to what you are proposing, one with four 36" doors, one with three 48" doors, of the two I prefer the four door system because of the increased access.

If you are cobbling the door system together yourself, I think you'll find that it will be more expensive than to simply purchase a premade system, especially if you go with non-standard items such as a slab door rather than the more common framed panel, and that is because of the thickness of the doors and the width of the track. An option of "barn" style doors might be an option, but the top rail/roller system of them isn't cheap.

JimL

Post by JimL » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:47 pm

I think you are right. I will probably go with the premade system. I see now that I will need to frame the open wall for doors.

I found this clip. I was very interested in the open space of the waist level shelf at 9:34 on the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdZRP6KMsJ4&t=516s

Thanks to both Shannon and A. Spruce.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:22 pm

You can finish the jamb any way you like, you usually fine wood jamb legs, but drywall will work just as well so long as you are not abusive with your door operation. For a standard track system the header jamb area is either left raw or drywall, depending on the trim requirements of the top track.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:27 pm

JimL wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:16 am
The space will be about H 8ft x W 12ftx x D 2ft. I am thinking about 4 light weight 24in slab doors. A reach-in closet means not a walk-in closet. It's a regular closet. Yeah the term is new to me as well.
Ok , I have never heard of this referred to as a reach in closet, i guess it does make sense.
JimL wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:16 am
I have been reading about those IKEA PAX system that people have been using. The costly PAX system plus building a base to level the floor for the PAX since I have uneven floor, custom side panels and top molding to fill the gaps and lastly painting. A closet like this will cost more than I anticipated.
Those Pax systems are really nice and adaptable for your needs but they are pricey even just for the cabinets and doors with basic shelving and rods. I wish I had pictures of one I did about 7-8 years ago I can find them? It was the whole wall of a bedroom plus they passed infront of the old existing 5' wide closet . From the exterior they looked pretty normal (stock) but when you opened the one at the old closet area it turned into a walk in closet area. Had to do some real customizing of that unit but it was amazing when done. I really wish I could find the pictures.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:34 pm

I personally would frame the closet and drywall the interior and jambs. I would then install either 36" or 48" bypass doors and hardware. If you need the jambs to be a little more robust then you can install a wood jamb around the perimeter and trim that out with casing.

JimL

Post by JimL » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:46 am

Thank you for the info.

JimL

Post by JimL » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:19 am

Back with a shelving question. I am very interested in the shelving system in the below link. I would like a have it larger with longer depth. Are there ways to add very light doors or maybe sliding doors to keep the dust away by adding a "top plate" the the structure.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/562457440943231204/

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:49 am

Dust is going to get into any closet, no matter how tightly sealed it is, that's just the way it is.

JimL

Post by JimL » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:28 pm

Thanks.