Wet frozen insulation

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
Phenix

Wet frozen insulation

Post by Phenix » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:45 pm

I'm building my own home and insulated it in December. After putting up the vapor barrier I noticed one spot of condensation on the cold side of the v.b. I have not drywalled this spot yet and noticed when it warms up it appears. I believe 3 bottom plates nailed together in this location is the problem. I open it up to air out. Now I'm noticing the batts in the cavity below are damp on the ext side as well as the sheathing. I believe rain water sandwich in the plates is part of the problem but the condensation? I check another wall and have some batts damp to the exterior side. Any thoughts? I did not turn on the heat until after the house was fully insulated and vapor barriered.

Shannon

Re: Wet frozen insulation

Post by Shannon » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:38 am

What kind of climate are you in? If it is a cold climate it is really tough to stop moisture from being in the wall cavity as you close it up during this time of year. Although you had no heat going it may be warmer inside anyways and also there will be higher moisture content in the framing materials at this time of year. Any small leaks in the vapour barrier will also push moisture inward as soon as the interior warms up also. IMO it is impossible to prevent moisture in the walls when building at this time of year and opening the cavity to dry it out is not helping anything either, it will just make it easier to push moisture in which will turn to frost/moisture on the back side of the sheathing. Sorry but there is nothing I know of that will stop this at this point. IMO if the batts are just have a little surface dampness you can close things up and get the drywall on. This moisture should be able to dry to the exterior once it warms up outside.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

Phenix

Re: Wet frozen insulation

Post by Phenix » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:18 pm

Thanks Shannon. I was able to dry up the cavity and insulation on a cold day where the south side sun provided heat. I resealed the vapor barrier and so far everything is looking promising. Thank you for your expertise.