Rebuilding old basement, re-use 4x3?

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
jeb101

Rebuilding old basement, re-use 4x3?

Post by jeb101 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:31 am

So I just bought an old 61 bungalow, and the basement needed some TLC, ripped out old floor that wasn't installed properly and started to rot due to creating a vapor lock.

The outer walls are all built with hardwood 2x3, which is above 2" of the cheap white Styrofoam. I plan on stripping all that out, fixing any cracks / leaks, and adding a proper vapor barrier + insulation. But my question is, should I reuse this wood? It has been exposed to moisture, and there are some that I already threw out due to them being actually wet due to his excellent plumbing (drips over years with his hand made pex to copper fitting).

Anyways, trying to save money, but want to do things right also. Would 2x3's be OK? I'd be removing the wall in large chunks and just putting them back up after installing the new insulation and wet-proofing my basement. Nail plates would also be installed where wiring is run of course as there would be no way to run a few wires and leave 1-1/4 inch space for code.

Should also note, I am in eastern Canada, so it gets mighty cold out here, and humid as can be in the summer.
Cheers

Shannon

Re: Rebuilding old basement, re-use 4x3?

Post by Shannon » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:45 am

The wood should be ok if it is dry and in good condition. Remember though to leave a space between the concrete wall moisture barrier and the back of the framing and in your case you need a little extra to accommodate the proper insulation thickness. 3" framing is not thick enough to install even R12 insulation without packing it to tight. Packing insulation to tight causes its R value to drop. I would recommend installing the walls with about 3" of space so that you could use R21 Roxul insulation.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

jeb101

Post by jeb101 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:14 am

Just to make sure I am understanding you right, sorry for the silly questions, still very much learning, but I'm doing loads of research and doing things right, no matter the time it takes. If you do something half assed, you got time to do it again.

Currently they only have 2 inches of Styrofoam, something like ~5R if I'm not mistaken, then they put the framing, with wood paneling on top, because it's so stylish right?!

So, if I'm understanding you right, and I believe I'm on the same page, add a better, thicker foam to get proper insulation (tape the seams like in your videos), then add my framing above that? I would figure I could put some batt insulation in between the 2x3's also to add a little extra. I will look into rock wool as I was originally planning on using the rigid foam boards, and use the extra to do the joists as they are literally stuffed with an insane amount of fiberglass bat (so basically no R values here).

Hopefully I am understanding you right.

Thanks again, and I greatly appreciate all your videos! Very informative!

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:40 pm

If the existing rigid foam is ok then leave it in place tape the joints and frame against that, then insulate framing and install vapour barrier and drywall. Do not add more foam against that existing foam I do not think it is worth the cost.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

jeb101

Post by jeb101 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:24 pm

Thanks, I appreciate it!